R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed50 or 30 amp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 14>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 50 or 30 amp
    Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 9:02am
My reason for my choice was about fire safety believe it or not. My pod cord I received with the camper doesn't always plug in as good as I like at the shore power receptacle. I found that it would make a crappy connection or even not work. One of the parks I had a problem,  had this adapter in it's inventory and I purchased it. It worked great and I have used it ever since. I believe a plug that is partially in the receptacle will overheat as it tries to pull enough power from the bad connection. I will have to rethink this and get a 30 - 30 adapter. Unless someone is going to tell me THAT too is a risk.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 9:39am
Understood. 

Unfortunately I guess a lot of park pedestals are poorly maintained so the 30A receptacles don't function well. I've never come across that myself because I use shore power rarely. When I have used it the pedestal's 30A outlets have functioned as they should. 

I guess maybe I have a little problem with a park operator that charges good money to rent you a site, doesn't maintain his equipment properly, and then makes more money selling you a device you have to ignore a safety warning label to use. But that's just me. 

I'm not clear on what you mean by a 30-30 adapter, did you mean the inline 30A circuit breaker I was referring to in the third choice in my previous post, or something else? 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 11:05am
I was saying a 30 amp plug. It would have a 30 amp female on the back, and a 30 amp male on the front. See, the problem i've had is the hard plastic insulation around the 3 male pins, that plug into shore power, hits the surround of the plug in outlet and doesnt quite let the 30 plug sit fully inserted. Using the 30 - 50 eliminates this problem completely by moving my cord 2 inches away from the outlet and everything sts perfect. Problem is, I cant find one..... so far

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 11:36am
MJ, you may want to invest in a new cord or put a new 30A plug on the old one.  The description of the poor connection is a known cause of electric fire.  

Tars, I should add a comment regarding legal responsibility for taking risks.  In recognition that every human endeavor involves risk, England, and other Common Law countries, such as the USA, follow the so-called "reasonable person [it used to be man] standard" for assessing whether the risk of the action carries with it liability for when things go wrong.  If a reasonable person would take the risk because it's likelihood of a bad outcome is very small, we generally don't hold the person financially liable if someone gets hurt.  We call that a reasonable risk.

On the other hand, if a person takes a risk that the "ordinary reasonable person" would not take, and something awful happens, then get your checkbook out.  In our case with the 30/50A dogbone, since there are warnings against its use, most juries would likely find that you violated the "ordinary reasonable person" standard in light of the fact that people who supposedly know a lot more than you do about its use advise against it.  So, if you insist on its usage in spite of the warning, be sure to have lots of insurance and your money and assets in offshore accounts.  Crete has some nice numbered accounts, I've heard, and you'd have a nice trip visiting your money. 

One of the factors in assessing what our so-called "reasonable person" would do is to assess whether the harm is reasonably foreseeable.  That involves the assessment of the utility of the conduct vs. the magnitude of the risk.  In effect it the idea is doing something very useful that has a very remote potential for harm, is generally seen as not violating the "reasonable person standard."  Conduct in the opposite end of the spectrum that is not very socially useful andor carries a very high risk of harm tends to be have liability imposed.  This is the concept of legal or" proximate" cause [don't confuse proximity to proximate, they ain't the same].  Legal or proximate cause is simply a public policy issue in  which courts and juries, decide when to impose liability for the consequences of your act.  It is not to be confused with another legal term, "cause in fact."

Supposedly this standard is objective, but it is about as objective as I am about many undiscussable political topics that thankfully we don't talk about here.  In reality, the standard is what judges and juries say it is based on the particular set of facts and whether you've won their favor or pizzed them off during the trial or appeal.  

This is a very superficial discussion of a very complex and internally contradictory topic.  If  you have specific questions about whether your specific conduct could expose you to liability where you live, please, please consult a member of the legal profession and by all means pay him/her very well for advise on the subject.  It is not, I repeat, not an attempt to confer legal advice on anyone except the rpod goddess and she doesn't want or need it, she said.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by lostagain

Tars, I should add a comment regarding legal responsibility for taking risks.

Respectfully, I would suggest maybe you shouldn't.  As mentioned earlier, you are talking to 8 forum regulars, mostly Senior Members, and mostly, I think, somewhere between mature and very mature.  I'm pretty sure we all realize that actions can have consequences and that we are responsible for our own deeds or mis-deeds.  Good odds.

I think it's absurd, not to mention condescending, to suggest that we better have our money offshore if we want to use a dogbone.  (I think that's what we're talking about.)  If I use one and I blow a fuse, I'll pay for the fuse.  If I burn up my cord or converter, or my Pod, I'll buy another one.  If I burn down 14,000 homes, or by some Rube Goldberg sort of scenario I somehow manage to cause the end of the world as we know it, well, I know I'll suffer the consequences.  In the latter case, crazy as it is, but nevertheless conceivable, I hope my suffering will be brief.

Aside from absurd, or maybe because of that, this is getting to be kind of funny.  You think the thread must be done, but then someone comes up with something else, a la when Colombo is leaving the room and he turns and says, "There's just one more thing...." 

Columbo had better writers.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 12:29pm
mjlrpod, I understand what you're looking for now and agree with lostagain's suggestion (on the power cable and connector not necessarily on moving money to Crete numbered bank accounts). I doubt there is such a thing as a 30 to 30A adapter because its not really adapting anything. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 2:31pm
Tars, we disagree.  I would say "respectfully" disagree but really that is a pejorative use that implies the other person is full of baloney, which you are certainly not.  

Three points:
1.  My intent is far from intending to be condescending regarding the use of the 50/30A dogbone but to be informative.  If you don't like the outcome, then you are certainly free to so as you please.  But at least you are now aware that the risk is a tad bit greater than you may have previously thought.

2.  I really don't care if you choose to use a dogbone and burn up your trailer and sustain a financial loss. [Well actually I do, but not a lot.]  But you are really wrong in your statement that if you cause some kind of a disaster from it's use "you'll suffer the consequences" as though the other people are not relevant to the equation.  In the last two years, over 100 people lost their lives and thousands lost everything they had because of runaway electric fires that wiped out California towns.  [We were camping in Calistoga in our Pod the day the Tubbs fire started.]  It is the victims of those fires who worry me far more than you or what ever you will suffer.  And it is not condescending to say there is a snowball's chance in hell  you would have the resources to help even one of these victims.  In other words, Tars, you aren't taking a risk just for yourself, you are risking the lives of others in spite of a manufacturer's warning; with a risk of a nearly unimaginable order of magnitude.  Please don't come to our western forests and use your 50/30A dogbone.

3.  As for who may or may not be following this thread.  I really don't know who reads it.  It is obvious who has written in it, but I don't believe there is a total read count available.  So if my cautions and the cautions of others who are informed on this issue stop someone from accidentally starting a fire, it was time well spent.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 3:13pm
Gentlemen, I know it's winter, few are here, and there isn't much camping content to post up, so we are getting anxious to talk/discuss/argue ANYTHING camper/camping related.

Let's try to let this thread go..

Go do mods or something and start some new threads.
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 3:58pm
Thank You Furpod and +1 Tars. If this is what we have to look forward to, this forum serves no purpose but a few individuals who want to ensure we all know how gifted they are. Repeatedly. Not impressive.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 7:23am
I believe I explained why I felt it was important for me to participate in this thread. 

I sometimes have my own opinions of other members' motivations but I keep them to myself, and I don't appreciate other members offering up their opinions about mine. If you don't like my posts you are under no obligation to read them. 

Personal attacks should have no place in this forum. Not impressive. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 14>