FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenerator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Generator
    Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 7:57pm
Sorry, Dixie needed to go outside.  So.....

To answer the original question, it's hard to argue the quality of Honda.  However, the Champion seems to be a good "value"....if they have something in the 2500watt or better range, it could run the AC without the capacitor mod and possible cost less than the others. (?).

As with everything I post......IMHO.  Smile
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 8:04pm
Thanks Outbound!  I was thinking of a few of your previous posts while waiting of Dixie.  What is the approx. cost of the Yamaha?
elko.mike View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 8:10pm
http://www.consumersearch.com/portable-generators/yamaha-ef2000is another set of reviews for what it is worth.

Mike, Linda & Doxies
2013 Hood River Edition r-pod 171
Tow Vehicles: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 (Linda's) and a 2003 Dodge Dakota (Mike's fishing truck)
ka9nyn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 9:46pm
Not so for all non-inverter gensets. My Generac 5500 senses load and when no load, idles down. Rolls back up to full speed when reloaded.

Also, remember surge  capability of the genset plays a role, as starting current for AC motors is many times running current, although for a very short time.

My 2 cents.
Dave & Rose
RP177 "ECM-Pod"
'08 Dodge RAM quad cab 5.7L 4WD "Rhino (re: F-4 Phantom)"
Chamberlain, SD (Formerly: Rockford, IL)
2010 RP 177
wagnert View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 10:48pm
I have a Honda 2000. Have had it for several years and it has gotten us through some long home power outages (6 days, 5 days, etc.).
It's a great unit.
During one of the 6 day outages here in western WA state, (trees often fall on  power lines) my friend bought a generator for much less money. Problem is he had to go for gasoline every day. At first no gas stations had power. My little rascal runs 10-12 hours on a one gallon fill. His used 5-7 gal/day.
Other factors:
The power is "clean." No concern of it surging and blowing electronics. No spikes.
It automatically adjusts to power needs, slows when full generation is not needed.
It is very quiet. Decibel chart compares it to the volume of normal speech.
It is small, about the size of two briefcases side to side.
Excellent unit! Very happy with it.

Tom Wagner
R-Pod 177
2003 Toyota Sienna
Tom Wagner
2012 R-Pod 177
2003 Toyota Sienna
sfish View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 11:17pm
I use 2 Honda 2000ius together and dont always need both but they are fuel efficient ,quiet  easy to start light weight.My camping  buddy bought a champion 3500 and the muffler broke off the first night and even after fixing that had fuel shut off problems and it was still noizy. You get what you pay for.
sjf
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2012 at 8:52am
LOL Isn't it funny how some topics bring out a lot of opinions. I Think any of these solutions will work you just have to find the one that is right for you. As for the Champion that broke the first night. I guess that can happen but from the reviews I have read that is not typical.

I think that the Champion is the best bang for the buck in its class but would concede that the Honda and the Yamha generators are in a whole different class.  
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2012 at 9:40am
My Champion has nearly 50 hours on it (0 hours camping sadly) and starts easily, runs fine, and uses no where near as much gas as wagnert's buddy's Generator does.  You can hold a conversation right next to it while running, but it is louder than a Honda.  But even the Hondas shut down during quiet time in the campground.  I think it is a good value. YMMV
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2012 at 10:40am
Originally posted by Keith-N-Dar

My Champion has nearly 50 hours on it (0 hours camping sadly) and starts easily, runs fine, and uses no where near as much gas as wagnert's buddy's Generator does.  You can hold a conversation right next to it while running, but it is louder than a Honda.  But even the Hondas shut down during quiet time in the campground.  I think it is a good value. YMMV

Mine is brand new just has 5 hours of break in time on it and at 58 Db really quite for the price and as for easy starting mine has the electric start so I just push a buttonBig smile.  

I am getting a small tent type device made with sound deadening material put put over it to cut the sound even more and eventually I am going to get a tri fuel conversion kit for it so it will run on propane. Earlier I said that it was 3500 watts but it is only 3000 running watts and 4000 surge. More than enough for everything on the Rpod. 

The Motor is a blueprint level copy of the Honda GX200 engine. I am really happy with it so far. Its only downside is the weight but I don't think that you can get 3000 watts much lighter. I could save a little by taking out the battery and using the Pod's battery to start it but I don't want to do that just yet. I also took the wheels off mine so that I can get it on a rack I put on the tongue of the trailer. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2012 at 11:35am
Does the Champion have the inverter electronics to safely run tv's, computers, etc?  That may be why they are so much cheaper.  Additionally, can't easily lift 100 lbs now.  That would be a major stumbling block for me.  Bought the Honda, no regrets.  Light, quiet, and will run sensitive electronics.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>