R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWarranty particulars as of Sept, '14

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Warranty particulars as of Sept, '14
    Posted: 23 Sep 2014 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by techntrek

And often we've read here that dealers only mention/push the more-expensive add-on warranties that are backed by private companies.  Which I can understand, they make money off of them.

yuh, that get's brought up a lot as why that little sheet gets left out accidentally.
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2014 at 4:36pm
So do you purchase the extended warranty from the dealer or directly from Forrest River?

Is there a cutoff time to purchase? Does anyone have a Forrest River contact? Our one year anniversary is coming up in a few weeks.

I too have never been a big fan of extended warranties, but after dropping my iPhone (shattering screen which I repaired myself...ughhh) and buying a new $$$ home fridge cuz bad GE compressor after 5 years, I'm starting to rethink the extended warranty thing. They just don't make like they used too. Remember those old refrigerators that lasted 25+ years and those 1980's iPhones! ;)

Thanks!

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2014 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by fwunder

So do you purchase the extended warranty from the dealer or directly from Forrest River?

You should be able to buy the warranty through your dealer.  But, you can also buy it through Forest River.  There should be information in the package with your owner's manual, and you'll have 30 days to send it in.  There will also be information from the appliance manufacturers on warranties they offer.

I do suggest that you take a good look at Forest Rivers' second-year warranty - I think its a great deal, and I know many others around here do too.  The other warranties (including dealer warranties)... well, make sure that you know what you're getting into - they might be right for you, they might not.

But, its a great idea to contact Forest River ahead of time and ask.  Check out the Contacts thread (its in the Reviews and General Information forum).

-edit-

One caution: Forest River does not have a staffed call centre filled with agents ready to take your call.  They've got two overworked people who do their best to answer the questions as they come in.  It will take a business day or two (maybe three) to get back to you.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2014 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by fwunder

Is there a cutoff time to purchase? Does anyone have a Forrest River contact? Our one year anniversary is coming up in a few weeks.

I too have never been a big fan of extended warranties, but after dropping my iPhone (shattering screen which I repaired myself...ughhh) and buying a new $$$ home fridge cuz bad GE compressor after 5 years, I'm starting to rethink the extended warranty thing. They just don't make like they used too. Remember those old refrigerators that lasted 25+ years and those 1980's iPhones! ;)

Thanks!

fred

The paperwork for the warranty says it needs to be sent in within 10 days or purchase.  But I've seen a lot of times where the warranty lady extends that for people who have never heard of it or didn't hear about it until later.

Coming up on your 1 year, I'm not sure about that though.

Protection Plan Department
1803 Century Drive
Goshen Indiana 46528

rcamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2014 at 7:39pm
just got my 178. check the back access panel of the frig drip line for condensation should come out of the back with a plug on it to keep heat from coming back into the frig. i know this because mine didn,t.  the drip line was cut off to short so the drip stayed inside instead of going outside on the ground big problem if it leaks back inside the camper. the wholesaler i bought from never checked it out. fr said they are required to inspect the camper for 3 hours. unless your at the dealership watching for yourself they won't do it the evidence bears that fact. they like their customers to do the foot work with that warranty. my advice is put the pressure on them about problems that surface if you wait to long they will not want to deal with it  
gone camping
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2014 at 10:48pm
I don't think your drip line is to short, I think it just popped out of the drip pan. I made my line longer and let it drip out under the pod.

If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

Luv2Q View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 1:15pm
*** U P D A T E ***
Based on comments from several of you regarding the FR extended warranty (and recall that I was told that it's parts-only), I called Rodney at FR this morning.

Long story short:  For $150, your initial warranty is extended for an additional 12 months.  Check is payable to Forest River.  FR policy is that this be done within 10 days of purchase but, per Rodney, there often is a little wiggle room in that.  (As many of you have pointed out, the dealer may not mention this policy.)  Repairs under this warranty need to be done at an authorized FR repair center.  You can buy this coverage through the dealer, or you can deal directly with FR.

I'll be getting this!

Thanks to all of you who have weighed in on this.  If not for this forum, I'd have been left with the misunderstanding that it's a parts-only deal.  (But, as TechnTrek observed, even that might be worth having when you see the prices of some of the gadgets in a Pod.)

Regards,
John
John & Teri
Tundra 5.7L V8 / RP 180
E2 WDH / Integrated controller (POS) replaced by Tekonsha P3
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 2:40pm
Good info, thanks for the update.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
NormanHill View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 9:21pm
We caved to pressure and bought the Good Sam warranty/coverage/etc. haven't used it yet. Quite pricey. Some folks swear it's been useful. We did get one year of good Sam coverage with the purchase from camping world - disclosed as an owner of Good Sam.
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 9:28pm
We just passed one year with our 2014 178.

We purchased Protective XtraRide extended warranty:

Towable-New. Platinum plan. Pretty much bumper to bumper including slide out, appliances, AV, etc.

72 month term (6 years). $100.00 deductible. Can transfer upon sale for $75.00.

Contract plan: $657.00 plus tax.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>