R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed50 or 30 amp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 14>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 50 or 30 amp
    Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 11:38am
Offgrid and GlueGuy,

Actually we are not in disagreement, there is a scenario where there could be an issue. A problem in the power cord that would cause the circuit to exceed 30As and be less than 50As. That has been on the RV interweb for quite some time.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 11:40am
+1, thinking same here. The scenario for the risk has not made industry look at that solution. At least not anywhere I can find it.
Mike Carter
2015 178
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 12:53pm
Unless you can get you hands on some positrons it’s going to be pretty hard to damage any electrons. And the violence of electron-positron annihilation is not going to meet the forum’s guidelines for civil behavior.

I’m probably missing something but I would think it would be pretty easy for one of the RV EMS manufacturers to add this functionality.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 2:46pm
The fact that they have not, and again, the complete lack of any data points I can find about occurrences, says it's a non issue.

Like walking in the woods.. a tree "can" fall on you.. but it doesn't happen often enough to keep us out of the woods..
Motor7 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 3:33pm
we need a "like" button......lol
2016 R-Pod 176T
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 4:01pm
I used to live in a neighborhood filled with 80 to 100 year old Monterrey pines.  When the wind got going during a rain storm, it was common for them to break about 2 meters up from the ground.  I saw and heard several fall.  It's not like the lumberjack cutting a tree with an nice key and a slow fall.  Within one block of my house, over the years there were several fatalities from the trees falling on houses.  

Moral of the story, it's better to match your conductor capacity and breakers even though the instances of fires are relatively rare.  Being trapped in a burning Pod doesn't sound like a very pleasant way to go.  The cost of putting in a breaker in the 30/50A dogbone is much less than the cost of starting a forest fire or your own funeral.  Ask PG&E about the cost of electric conductor fires.  Just a thought from a lay person.  This has been a very informative discussion.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 5:09pm
Yah. Sometimes we get carried away. Heard a discussion  (on the radio) the other day talking about shark attacks. They are very rare. In fact, they noted that you are more likely to be hit on the head by a falling coconut than be bit by a shark. 

By the same token, the number of fires caused and/or property damaged and/or people hurt using a 50 amp to 30 amp dogbone that is not fused is most likely statistically insignificant. Maybe kind of like gas stations exploding because of lit propane refrigerators.

bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 5:12pm
Lostagain,

There is absolutely nothing that says the fire would be in the Pod, unless it had to do with your cord storage. The fire would be in the power cord, if and only if the scenario was met. There is much more risk to fire when using extension cords to power your Pod. Not denying risk, but miniscule compared to other causes of fire in RVs.

Here is challenge, find one case of a fire caused by the interweb substantiated risk, Off Grid has used?
Mike Carter
2015 178
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by GlueGuy

Yah. Sometimes we get carried away. Heard a discussion  (on the radio) the other day talking about shark attacks. They are very rare. In fact, they noted that you are more likely to be hit on the head by a falling coconut than be bit by a shark. 

By the same token, the number of fires caused and/or property damaged and/or people hurt using a 50 amp to 30 amp dogbone that is not fused is most likely statistically insignificant. Maybe kind of like gas stations exploding because of lit propane refrigerators.

Why is it hard to find coconuts on trees in Hawaii? Because the public works people go around and cut the coconuts off the ones in public areas to prevent people from getting hit by a falling coconut.

We always have risks. One has to decide whether the risk is small enough to take the proposed course of action. I try to make sure my R-Pod's wiring and my power cord (plus my 30A extension cord) at home are in good shape and rated for the load. I have only had one instance where there was no 30A power outlets available. If I wanted power, I needed to use a 50A to 30A dog bone. It was either that or stay at the RV park without shore power. I judged the risk to be acceptable and used the dog bone.

Another time, we pulled into one site. I plugged in my circuit analyzer (my usual practice) to check the power and discovered the post was incorrectly wired. I changed sites to one where the circuit analyzer okayed the power. Then I plugged in my RPod. The owner was unaware there was a problem so informing him meant that it could be fixed before someone got hurt. In that case, the risk was way too high to use that site even though the outlet was the correct 30A rating.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 6:10pm
I confess, I'm not going to go out and buy a 50A dogbone for the off chance that the 30A plug ain't working.  I'll get by with the 20A or battery and not worry about it.  It's not that I'm risk averse, but more that I'm a minimalist and don't need many electrons.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 14>