R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBattery replacement decision 6v or 12v?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery replacement decision 6v or 12v?
    Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 12:58pm
Hi all- my batteries just died and I'm trying to determine how to replace them on my 2014 182g. The r-Pod's previous owner set it up with space for three 12 volt batteries, but I'm considering a switch to two 6 volts, mainly because I co-own the R-Pod and can't be in charge of how the batteries may be discharged when I'm not there with the other owner. The durability/extent of drain of 6v batteries appeals in that regard, especially for dry camping, which we do about 40-50% of the time.

I could get three 12 volts or two 6 volts, and either way, hitch weight sums (about 500 lbs tongue weight) and cost would be similar, given Costco prices (a little less for the 6v system).

What do you all recommend?
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 1:04pm
I have the dual 6V batteries and have been pleased with their performance. 
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
D Plex View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 1:25pm
Thanks for that - how long do they give you power for the essentials (lights, water pump, a little heat)?
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 1:41pm
Can't answer specifics unless I know the capabilities of all the batteries you're looking at. Multiple 12V batteries will lower the current drain from each one such that you can get into longer drain times. You can get high quality 6V batteries for less than high quality 12V batteries.

The best way to compare batteries regardless of voltage is to take the AH rating of an individual battery, and calculate the watt-hours. (AH * voltage = watt-hours). At that point you can just add up the watt-hours (regardless of whether they are parallel or series), and see what gets you the most power over time.

For example. Compare two 6V batteries with 100 AH capability to three 12 volt batteries at 75 AH capability (this is only an example):

Two 6 volts @ 100 AH each:
6 * 100 = 600 watt-hours (each)
600 * 2 = 1200 watt hours total

Three 12V @ 75 AH each:
12 * 75 = 900 watt-hours (each)
900 * 3 = 2700 watt-hours total

Remember. All batteries are not created equal. If the battery is rated in "cold cranking amps", and not amp-hours (AH), don't bother with it. You are concerned with deep cycle batteries that are designed to drain deeply; not turn over a monster V8 at 20 below.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
D Plex View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 2:24pm
The Amp hour rating is part of my confusion. I'm trying to compare the Interstate batteries at Costco - the SRM 24, their 12 volt Group 24 Marine/RV battery, which does NOT display an AH rating, and their 6v Golf Cart battery, which I believe is rated at 225 ah. Someone on the forum said it's a rebranded Trojan T-105.

It seems that 12 volt batteries can offer a lot of AH if you have the budget, but the ones I'm looking at seem to be in the 65-85 AH range.

What I also don't know is this: Would a 6 volt system provide me with more available power because it's designed to discharge lower, or would its voltage be lowered and unusable below a certain percentage of charge, the same as my 12 volt batteries were useless under 65%? 
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by D Plex

Thanks for that - how long do they give you power for the essentials (lights, water pump, a little heat)?

I don't know how long. The only time I ever ran them down was when I tried to use the refrigerator on 12V overnight. I won't ever make that mistake again.
For lights, water pump, and furnace, expect several days. The LED lights are very efficient. I suspect that you would be looking at weeks with just lights. The water pump isn't running constantly, so it is not a big factor. The furnace also is temperature dependent. Still, if the temperature isn't too cool, you could probably go a number of days, depending on them having a full charge to start.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by D Plex

What I also don't know is this: Would a 6 volt system provide me with more available power because it's designed to discharge lower, or would its voltage be lowered and unusable below a certain percentage of charge, the same as my 12 volt batteries were useless under 65%? 
With the batteries you are comparing (6V @ 225 AH or 1350 WH(times 2)) or (12V @ 85 AH or 1020 WH (times 2 or 3)), the 2*6V would be more economical than 3*12V with approximately the same run time. 

The first thing to look at would be that the battery is rated in AH. Then look to see if the AH rating is at 20, 40, or 100 hours. Basic deep cycle batteries will be rated at 20 hours. Better quality batteries are also rated for longer run times (up to 100 hours). 

However.... We have used a bunch of Concorde PVX-2120L batteries. These are rated at 212 AH for a 20 hour discharge rate (2544 watt-hours)  or 253 AH for a 120 hour discharge rate (3036 watt-hours). These are premium batteries that we use in remote solar sites, and they are BEASTS. They also weigh 127 lbs EACH. They are also above most people's pay grade. As someone once said, if you need to know how much they cost, you can't afford them.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 7:57pm
We have a pair of 12v deep cycle marine batteries that are faithfully operating on year 7.  In national parks you boondock, which we often do anyway.  A good test we have used many times is when we camp in either RMNP in Colorado or Glacier in Montana where the night temps are normally upper 30's to mid to upper 40's, the furnace is on a lot when we are there in the evening, we turn it off during the day when we hike.  We will get 3 to 3.5 days out of each battery, that also includes using the HW and fridge on propane and liberal use of our L.E.D. lights inside. 

When these batteries decide to 'retire' we will most likely go with 2 6volt batteries.  After reading many posts on this, it seems like a better way to go with more AH than the pair of 12v batteries.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
D Plex View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 11:08am
Jato, that's amazing! I was figuring 2-3 days total with no furnace for the three 12 volts. Everybody seems to have a different answer. I think we've decided to go with 6 volts as well.
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 3:45pm
If you also install a 150 Watt or larger solar panel and controller, then the 2- 6 volt or 2- 12 volt battery choice doesn't matter much. The solar can easily replace the charge lost from a furnace and other usage.

If you decide you need a 2000+ watt DC to AC inverter to run a television, appliances, toaster, hair dryer, microwave, etc without a generator, then a solar panel probably won't be able to replace all that energy in a day. It's all about amp/hours of usage.

2 - 12 volt marine "deep cycle" batteries were enough for 4 days - 3 nights of camping. I usually used a Mr Furnace at night on cold nights instead of the furnace. Much quieter and doesn't eat the batteries.

2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>