R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Covering During the Summer in Utah - Good or Bad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCovering During the Summer in Utah - Good or Bad

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Covering During the Summer in Utah - Good or Bad
    Posted: 08 Jul 2017 at 4:12pm
Posed this question in the Facebook forum, didn't get great answers. This group seems a little more tech savvy. I purchased an American Classics cover for my 182G to limit UV damage to the pod. I live in mountains of Utah, so pretty much sunny every day with strong UV exposure. It's been covered for about 10 days during some of our hottest weather. Stored with all windows open and bathroom fan open. Went inside today and interior temp was 113 degrees. Laddered the side and checked out the roof, could smell the lap sealant "cooking" in the head and Bohr the roof and the metal were very hot to the touch. I've since uncovered it and haven't had a chance to inspect the roof yet, but when taking off the cover there looks to be a few cracks in the varied places that have lap sealant. What are all of your thoughts, am I doing more harm than good coving he pod? Thanks!

Seth
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2017 at 5:57pm
I'm pretty sure that the cover will increase the temperature of the stored pod.

We live in central North Carolina.  We use a classic accessories cover and keep the pod covered in the fall and spring.  Our primary purpose is to keep the fall leaves from staining the pod and the spring pollen off the pod.  Every time I go into the pod when it is covered, I notice the temperature is significantly warmer inside .

Check the label on the tube of dicor or google the manufacturers suggestions about the heat limits.  Excessive heat certainly could be detrimental to the sealants .

I've never read anything specific about uv damage to the type of materials that make up a pods outer skin.  does anyone have any references for this topic?

This will be an interesting topic to follow.

Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2017 at 6:08pm
From TN. I quit covering Pod. I spend more time maintaining, but covered I saw much more mold and assorted issues. It really stayed wet longer. This winter I will move inside and NOT cover. Not a big fan of covers. I have some classic cars I have covered and the mold is significant, covers are something I look at with serious consideration. Personally I think better to treat Pod like an outdoor system, and do routine maintenance.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
fonseca179 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 7:46am
I have keep mine covered all year round and have never had a problem.  
Dromsie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 11:46am
So inspected the roof, lots of big cracks in the lap sealant around the bathroom fan, with a few smaller holes around the tank vents and the tv antenna. Cleaned the lap sealant with denatured alcohol and reapplied sealant. No more covering for me during the summer. I'm guessing it was well over 150 degrees under the cover. The cracks could've been there since the trailer sat at the rv dealer for over a year before I bought it, but I think it had something to do with the cover. I will likely cover during the winter. So for now, regular washing and waxing in summer.
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 4:42pm
+1.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
 Post Reply Post Reply