R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat's your favorite things about your r-pod?!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's your favorite things about your r-pod?!
    Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 9:15pm
I though this could be a fun thread amongst all the maintenance and problems!

What's your favorite things about your pod?

Coming from a well setup tent camp, mine would absolutely be the ease of setting up camp! I love how well thought out everything is in the trailer. I've done some minor mods which I will try and set up images so I can post pics. I also enjoy zipping the little camper In a spot then watching huge trailers struggle.. I can get this thing almost anywhere!
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 9:29pm
Senior pass - $10.00 a night at most National parks!

Besides that, we really, really like just taking our "stuff", including the cat, wherever we go. No planes, no trains, no suitcases, no petsitters, etc. Not necessarily specific to rPod, but the size of the rPod makes it soooo easy. 

It's also much easier and more fun visiting Nephews, nieces, brothers and sisters when we can just driveway camp!

Obviously, the best thing about an rPod is the incredible rPod community that comes with it. It really is second to none and when I get my Ollie I'm still gonna hang out here.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 10:18pm
I am with you fwunder - this is the first year we utilized the Senior Pass, a great deal at RMNP in Colorado, $ 13.00/night and no entrance fee!  Versatility, we boondock a lot, such as national parks, so our batteries get used a lot and so does our furnace.  We special ordered our 177, since we normally camp where no electricity is available, so we don't have A/C, microwave/convection oven, or entertainment system; hey we are camping, not glamping!    And yes, the rpod community we have found to be fantastic.  Last year it was a treat to be with 40+ RPOD owners at the ERU in Traverse City, Michigan and make new friendships as well as re-acquaint with those we haven't seen in awhile.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 4:10am
Not old enough for the senior pass, but love the fact that we travel with our stuff set up like we like it.

Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Kup-Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 3:59pm
Thank you Daniel for starting this thread!  So often we hear and read of all the hurdles we might have with our RPods (and I understand that) but sometimes we just need to remember that they really are great trailers.  We simply love the functionality of our unit and amount of storage in our RPod.  Couple that with the fact that it is so easy to tow, setup and use.
2017 RP-178
2021 F150 5.0l
"Lead me on a level path"
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 5:05pm
To me it is the ability to tow, maneuver and camp, simply. I have owned motor homes and large trailers and my 178 is just simple. It is comfortable and has everything we need. There is nothing we can't do, to be comfortable without a hassle. We can cook, sleep and clean up, both at improved and unimproved campsites. We don't sit in the camper all day, so I'm not trying to recreate a house on the road.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Live2Camp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 6:51pm
Absolutely my favorite thing is that my guy can stand up in it! When we truck- and tent camp he can only sit up, and has to manuever his way in and out on hands and knees (same for me but I'm much shorter than him). He doesn't complain and we have a great time. But now that we have RPod as well he'll enjoy the truck and tent camping we still do knowing it's not the only choice. Until he doesn't enjoy it (small-tent camping) anymore, by which point we'll still have RPod and already be comfortable with it and in it. Also this great community. We haven't met any of you yet, but still feel part of it. And I love the size and relatively modest appearance of our RPod. I'll add my thanks to Kup-Pod's, great topic! 
2017 R-Pod 179 HRE (the green one)
His:Ford F150 double cab 4WD; Hers/mine:Tacoma V6 double cab 4WD
Still love rugged, diggin' comfy too
Danielw1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 12:44am
I feel the same about standing up and being comfortable compared to the tent but think there is still a time and place for the good old tent! One thing I did the last couple years before buying the trailer was got a better tent. My first year hunting in central Oregon with my friend I showed up with a small pup tent thinking.. well I'm camping, this is what you do. My friend has been hunting and camping 20+ years and his camp was well thought out. The best things I did to improve tent camp life were:
-scored a new tent off Craigslist. It is a instant tent that I got for 100 bucks, 9x13, literally sets up in 3 minutes or less and you can stand up anywhere in the tent. Really makes it incredibly comfortable.
-got a quick shade that I put right out next to tent door, this makes for the cook shack and a nice well lit shelter at night with gas lantern hanging in the middle.
- heavy duty cot with sleeping pad and extra blankets on top for a super comfortable bed and place to sit for putting shoes on and such.
-table for inside the tent. This is awesome for putting the daily items on and just having a space off the ground. I use a rollup aluminum table that packs Super small.
-hard case tote that I pack my sleeping bags/pad in that doubles as night stand once I get unpacked

Sorry to rant but this is what got me into my trailer! Figuring out how to be comfortable and not spend 2 hours setting up camp is well worth the efforts. I had my tent camp down to a 45 min setup, the traIler is about 15 minutes! A few other funny things we do is put out battery op moiton lights that instantly come on when moving about camp at night and hang 3-4 moiton operated trail cameras on our camp.. some people think this is crazy but it actually caught people stealing from our camp this year, one of which had warrants and pictures identified the person. The rpod is nice to lock our extra bows up in and know stuff is safe!

ParPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 7:29am
Favorite thing - it's not a tent trailer! the Pod dosen't flap and rattle in the wind.  It's high, dry, warm and very comforatable for the two of us.  Don't have to wipe it down to pack it up and it's quick to load up and carry on driving.  Its a very easy pull and can be backed into just about any camp site.  The price point allowed us to move up and still be able to continue to do the other travelling we do.
We got it to be able to travel around and try out different golf courses over the summer months and so far it's been a whole lot of fun!
Bob&Margaret
2017 179
2016 Toyota 4Runner
2 sets of Golf Clubs
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 10:57am
I think just about everything about our RPod is great, but I still really, really, like the shower.  After decades of tent camping and bathing too rarely in icy streams and rivers, having my own hot shower whenever I want it is the peak of luxury.

We had a tall tent with a queen air bed, carpet, a couple of chairs and a little table.  Even heat when we needed it.  I've heard of people who mount air conditioners in their tents, but we never went that far!  Anyway, it's great that all of that stuff is already in the pod, ready to use and ready to go down the road when it's time to leave. 

We don't use it a lot, but the microwave/convection oven does get some good use, and having a perpetually cold fridge as opposed to having everything floating around in a cooler full of melting ice, and having to keep buying ice, is also really nice.

Hearing the rain on the roof of the pod is also an ode to joy.  Rain on the tent meant potential leaks, wet floors, and not being able to pack up until it dried out.  Not to mention it took 3 times as long, on a good day, to pack up the tent camp as it does to hook up the pod and hit the road.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>