R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMaking the most of a tiny fridge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Making the most of a tiny fridge
    Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 7:43pm
One thing we gave up when we bought our new (to us) 179 was a decent sized, well arranged Norcold fridge.  It had at least 1 more cubic foot of space than the 179, a freezer twice the size of the new one and shelves that actually are wide enough to hold a lot of food.  Any tips for making the most of this little fridge with shelves so narrow that anything wider than a yogurt carton will fall off and even a quart of milk is too tall (only exaggerating a little bit! Wink). 
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 7:55pm
It does take some getting used to. We will sometimes carry a small freezer to use just for extra space/room.
We will also carry a cooler for waters/condiment etc to be able to use the fridge for more important stuff. 
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 8:31pm
Refrigerator bars (spring-loaded, rubber tipped bars that are placed across the front of the shelves help to keep things from falling off. That way, you can stack some items and still have them stay in place. I also put a couple of them behind the upper shelf so that things would not fall off the back side. I do wish they had made the shelves a bit wider also, but have used the bars to help use what we have more effectively.

We do have an extra cooler we purchased that is a Free Piston Sterling Cooler that runs on 12V but unlike a thermoelectric cooler, actually does cool reliably while using less power than the thermoelectric models. We got it at our local ReStore after it was donated by a pharmaceutical company (not used to transport hazardous biological materials or organs). These are set to run at 4 degrees C, which is about 39 or 40 degrees F and will hold within a degree or two of that temperature. They are very expensive new, but ours was used and came with both a 12V cord and 120V power cord  with transformer. This usually rides in the TV with us. We have not checked to see exactly what the power draw is as we got it after last summer's travel.
On those times we did have it and stayed in a motel room, it was nice as it is also very quiet, much more so than the thermoelectric ones we have. I don't know if we could run it on 12V without running down the batteries (dual 6V in series). I think we could get an overnight okay, but don't know how much beyond that would be possible.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 9:17pm
We kept drinks out of the fridge, used a cooler for them. No issues for 10 days.
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 9:39pm
We also use a cooler as an added space to keep drinks and vegetables cold.  We use the refrig for meats, cheese, eggs, milk and things that need to be kept cold and somewhat constant temp.  the cooler has the rest.  It lives in the back of our expeditioin and is readily accessible.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
rawest50 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 10:08pm
We bought an ice maker. Makes I think 26 pounds in a day. More than we need. We also carry a cooler with ice for drinks & some food items. Doing this we have camped for 5 days and could have stayed longer with no problem . Drinks are the biggest storage problem. A lot of beer. 😂 You need to figure out you eating habits & what needs to be frozen versus cooled.
2017.5 RPod 179
2017 Jeep Unlimited Wrangler
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Off Road Crew Cab
2 Weiner dogs
Great wife puts up with my BS
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by Pod People

We also use a cooler as an added space to keep drinks and vegetables cold.  We use the refrig for meats, cheese, eggs, milk and things that need to be kept cold and somewhat constant temp.  the cooler has the rest.  It lives in the back of our expeditioin and is readily accessible.
Vann

+1
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Mesa Verde View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 10:14am
Thanks for some helpful ideas.  
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 11:13am
Originally posted by StephenH

Refrigerator bars (spring-loaded, rubber tipped bars that are placed across the front of the shelves help to keep things from falling off. That way, you can stack some items and still have them stay in place. I also put a couple of them behind the upper shelf so that things would not fall off the back side. I do wish they had made the shelves a bit wider also, but have used the bars to help use what we have more effectively.

+1. They also come in handy for packing the pantry in our 179. We have shelves in the pantry and the bars keep items on the shelves.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 3:39pm
We also like many here use a cooler for drinks and such. Though I got tired of buying ice every day and I was about to spend hundreds of dollars on a Yetti cooler so I made my own poor man version of a Yetti. Now I can get three days out of a bag of ice to keep drinks cold in the cooler, not bad for a $20 investment and a little work I'd say? 
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>