R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedrefrigerator wont light on propane at 7000 feet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: refrigerator wont light on propane at 7000 feet
    Posted: 22 Jul 2018 at 8:44pm
HI- Need some help- I have a 2017 rpod 179 with a domestic refrigerator. I live in denver at 5280 feet. Refrigerator lights off with no problem in denver.  I camp alot in estees park at a higher elevation and refrigerator will not light? I bring it home to denver and it will light right away. Ive cleaned the oriface and gas pipe and vents but still will not light in Estees park?  is there a adjustment or a smaller size oriface available for this refrigerator?  The other trailers parked next to me are not having a problem-help!
gary
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2018 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by garyd

HI- Need some help- I have a 2017 rpod 179 with a domestic refrigerator. I live in denver at 5280 feet. Refrigerator lights off with no problem in denver.  I camp alot in estees park at a higher elevation and refrigerator will not light? I bring it home to denver and it will light right away. Ive cleaned the oriface and gas pipe and vents but still will not light in Estees park?  is there a adjustment or a smaller size oriface available for this refrigerator?  The other trailers parked next to me are not having a problem-help!

Not sure what to say - we live at 4900 ft (Grand Junction) and just spent last week at 10,000 ft, no issues. we light it before we leave (after getting it nice and cool with electricity) and it kept going all week, no issues.
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2018 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by Ben Herman

Originally posted by garyd

Not sure what to say - we live at 4900 ft (Grand Junction) and just spent last week at 10,000 ft, no issues. we light it before we leave (after getting it nice and cool with electricity) and it kept going all week, no issues.

Just realized that I provided no helpful suggestions. Perhaps get it running before you leave Denver; our protocol is to start the fridge on electricity the night before we leave, and we always keep our fridge running on propane from before we leave home until we get back home after our trip and all food is unloaded. If yours won't do this then something is not right with it.
GLBCamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2018 at 10:37pm
Is the igniter “ticking” trying to start it or is it just nothing?

I had some ignition problems and I noticed a small (1/4”) brass thumb screw under the igniter. I’m not sure what it does and even googled it but couldn’t find anything. Maybe it’s coincidental, but if I turn that screw it will often ignite.

Like Ben, I precool my fridge on ac the night before a trip and then light it on gas in the driveway before I leave, and it stays on until we get home. I don’t want to ruin a trip because the fridge won’t ignite and all my food goes bad.
Old: 2014 177 HRE
2015 Tacoma V6 4x4 Double Cab
New: 2016 EVO ATS 200rd
2016 F150 4x4 Sport
GLBCamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2018 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by GLBCamper

Is the igniter “ticking” trying to start it or is it just nothing?

I had some ignition problems and I noticed a small (1/4”) brass thumb screw under the igniter. I’m not sure what it does and even googled it but couldn’t find anything. Maybe it’s coincidental, but if I turn that screw it will often ignite.

Like Ben, I precool my fridge on ac the night before a trip and then light it on gas in the driveway before I leave, and it stays on until we get home. I don’t want to ruin a trip because the fridge won’t ignite and all my food goes bad.

Answering my own question, it looks like that thumb screw is a manual gas shut off. I’m sure not related to your issue.
Old: 2014 177 HRE
2015 Tacoma V6 4x4 Double Cab
New: 2016 EVO ATS 200rd
2016 F150 4x4 Sport
mikeyg2347 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 1:24pm
Just had a similar problem with my refrigerator. Screwed around with cleaning the orifice, etc. but nothing worked. Finally, on a whim, I set the frig to propane and while it was alarming I pushed and held the alarm button. Voila, I could hear the piezo clicking, then heard it ignite. Problem solved. Dumb luck.
Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply