R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAdding Storage In Bathroom For Rpod 178

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adding Storage In Bathroom For Rpod 178
    Posted: 27 Dec 2018 at 2:47pm
Hi all. I searched the forums and could not find a specific answer on this. If there is one and someone can point me to it and we can definitely remove this one.

Mainly I have seen that people have done mods to the bathroom for storage but I am not sure what I can buy or if I have to build something. Prefer to buy if possible primarily due to time limitations. 

Basically we never use the bathroom in our 178 and it's used for storage. Right now we just have a plastic bin or two in there but is not user friendly for putting stuff away or taking it out. Looking for some sort of shelf system that could at minimum be used while docked yet at best (and most ideal) used while in flight so I don't need to take things in and out all the time. 

Any ideas of what to do here would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. 
2016 R178
2007 Ford Expedition V8 5.4L
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2018 at 5:11pm
It's really hard for me to get my head around not wanting to use the Pod bathroom.  Do you use your bathroom at home?   To each his/her own and all that but I don't know that there are any conversion kits because not a lot of people buy a camper with a bathroom and then don't use it.  There are people who do, but they are few and far between.  I imagine all solutions are unique and depend on what you intend to store.  You may be able to find some storage containers or shelving at Walmart or Home Depot, but I think you're going to have to do some kind of DIY construction.

I'd probably put a shelf or two up high, a clothes bar immediately underneath and maybe put a plastic bin or two on the floor, but I'm no closet designer and you may be thinking something else.  You could make more room by taking out the toilet and sink (if your Pod has one), but at that point, thinking of resale value, you might ought to consider trading the Pod for a camper without a bathroom.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2018 at 5:53pm
We use our bathroom, so storage is limited, but it is enough for us.

[
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

NWRPodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 10:49am
TT, your first couple sentences gave me a good laugh, so thank you! I do use the bathroom at home BTW. I can completely respect that I am likely in the minority here. I have spent many years sleeping in tents and backpacking that to sleep in a nice trailer without using the bathroom is completely logical to our family. It's one less thing to clean as well. If I had my choice I would get a model just like the 178 where the bathroom area was all storage but that did not exist. 

I do think of resale value and don't plan to do something that could "destroy" the bathroom. I am looking for something I could put in there that could easily be removed at some point. I think you are right about a DIY option likely being my only best option. I have an idea in mind that might work that would be basic 2x4 with plywood if I can find the time to make it. 

Marwayne, your storage cabinet is a nice touch. Unfortunately that will be too small for our needs. Definitely good if you still use the bathroom though. 
2016 R178
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by NWRPodder

I have spent many years sleeping in tents and backpacking that to sleep in a nice trailer without using the bathroom is completely logical to our family. 

I am not sure that you are thinking practically here. Since you know 'minimalist' camping, you really shouldn't have that much stuff even now. Keep the quite small bathroom as-is, use the tow vehicle more for storage and consider a 'stand alone' camping storage unit like this gold-plated one. 

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Deluxe-Campers-Kitchen/2236760.uts?productVariantId=4462610&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=04345498&rid=20&ds_rl=1246525&ds_rl=1246528&ds_rl=1247879&ds_rl=1252079&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgsSr7YzD3wIV9f7jBx1kMgbREAkYAiABEgLQzvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Sooner or later, there will definitely be times when you and your family will want/need access to the bathroom.
NWRPodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 2:29pm
Happy Tripping, that link was actually quite helpful. We do have an outdoor kitchen like table already yet there is a folding shelving unit they make that looks like would fit the bill that I don't recall seeing something like it before. Thanks for the suggestion. 

I understand what you mean about using the TV more of storage. We already do for a number of things on each trip. I am looking more for something where we can put our clothes, extra shoes, toiletry bags, etc. that make sense to have in the Pod when needed. Maybe some other non-personal items as needed. With four of us we simply have bags with our personal belongings in the pod stuffed various places which gets messy easy with the limited space. 

What I ever end up with I will come back to this post and share it. 

2016 R178
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by NWRPodder

I have spent many years sleeping in tents and backpacking that to sleep in a nice trailer without using the bathroom is completely logical to our family. It's one less thing to clean as well. If I had my choice I would get a model just like the 178 where the bathroom area was all storage but that did not exist.

We tent camped for many years too.  An RPod is a step up in a lot of ways but for me, the A#1 best thing about the Pod is having any-time access to my very own hot shower.  Push come to shove, I might be able to last longer, but after 3 days of camping without a shower I will drive miles for a rent-a-shower and have been known to, really, jump into icy rivers to rinse off. 

A whole lot depends on the kind of camping you like to do.  We will always opt for a National Park if possible, and many of them (and our favorite, the Great Smokey Mountains) don't have shower facilities.  If you go to private campgrounds with full hookups AND bathhouses with unlimited hot showers, you don't need the Pod bathroom.  I'll use campground shower facilities if they're available (and not horrible), but the wife and I both use the onboard toilet.  I'll admit, there can be a bit of a yuck hurdle knowing you have to dump the black tank, and for some people there is an intimacy hurdle too.  It's close quarters in a Pod!  Once you've done it a time or two both of those hurdles pretty much vanish.  And I highly recommend getting over them.  Life is great in a Pod with a toilet and a hot shower!!

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Andy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 6:04pm
You might also think about removing the shower sink. It's pretty much useless. I did that and we've really been happy with the extra mobility.  It's still a bit tight for me and if I have a choice of a campground shower I'll always do that.  But for my 5'4" wife, she loves it and never uses anything else.  We also replaced the shower head and that's great. Get one with a pause though.
2017 179
2016 Silverado Z71
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 10:28pm
Hmmm??? we added a sink to our head and it's wonderful not washing your hands after using the toilet in the food preparation area.  I've showered in there, and I'm large, and have never had a problem.  I just sits me down in the toilet and enjoy the hot water.  

We are contemplating a small storage area in the wall behind the toilet along the lines of what marwayne built.  But since I can't convince him to drop on down to Dayton for a spell and help me with it, it'll be a little more simple.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
NWRPodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2019 at 10:01pm
Alright I wanted to come back and share an update. I had plans when taking the pod out of storage this spring to set the bathroom up with some sort of more long term storage setup. Yet before I got to it we took it for a couple nights to a friends large property where I fully expected to use the house bathroom. 

However, that didn't happen much. Due to a combination of having a sewer hookup for the pod that they just installed and not wanting my family in and out of their house the whole time, I caved and we used the pod bathroom for the first time for liquid bathroom trips. I admit I have changed my tune now and plans. I will likely create something more like marwayne showed in this thread since we plan to use it going forward. 

Every trip there is still something new to learn or use. You can definitely say I told you so on this one! 
2016 R178
 Post Reply Post Reply