R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSoft start

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Soft start
    Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 7:45am
As I sit and wait for things to begin to normalize and allow us to get back to camping, I have been looking at things to add to my pod to make it an even better experience. I am going to be adding a TPMS so I can monitor my tires. Having a single axle sometimes concerns me, and I worry about a blowout and what could happen. I purchased the eezrv 6 sensor system to do the truck tires, and the pod tires. Looks pretty simple to use, anybody got any "watch out for" tips?  I have also purchased a microaire soft starter. I want to be able to run the a/c on one of the honda 2000 watt genny's at times, and also keep the starting amps down, mostly in the morning. With toasters, coffee makers, hot water etc. all running, on rare occasion I've popped the breaker when the a/c kicks in. My Question on this one is, just how hard/easy is this to install? I don't have the unit yet, but as I watch the install video's on youtube, they make me more nervous, than confident. Just looking at the bird nest of wires is scary. Are they all the right color? etc. Who has done this? was it "really" easy?  Thanks
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 8:50am
It really isn't as hard as it looks. Just be sure to follow the instructions as to which wire goes where. When I did it, I left the old start capacitor in place in case I want to remove the easy-start and transfer it to a newer RPod if we trade. Once you get up there and actually look at the wiring along with the diagram, it will make sense.See this Wiring Diagram and Instructions for reference. You will need to scroll down in the document to get to the Penguin II model. Since I had tools, terminal connectors, and wiring, etc. on hand, I did not purchase the installation kit. Overall, I would say it was easy, but not "really" easy. One still has to get up there and remove covers, then get everything put back together. I definitely was not hard. It just takes some attention to detail.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 10:20am
Actually, I have the high profile a/c unit. So I think I use the Brisk 2 instructions. Thanks for the info.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
I'll be rpodding
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 11:08am
+1. Not really easy because you are on the roof. But not hard either. I put a piece of plywood on the roof to lay on. Put down your stabilizers and lean a ladder against the rPod, don't use a step ladder. 

My Honda 2K will start the a/c fine with the Easystart, and it will run the a/c but nothing else of any significance at the same time, including the battery charger in high current "bulk" mode. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 11:15am
I ended up having the Easy start installed at the dealer. Cost a couple hundred bucks (gulp). Everything is still under warranty for another 2 months and I wanted to make sure everything was done right. From what the dealer said, he went thru a dozen or more startups, (I guess thats part of the install) and The unit never draws over 11.5 amps, usually less. Sounds like I could run the A/C on a normal 15 amp plug? I was hoping to make it able to run on one honda 2000I genny, and I think that should work now. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
I'll be rpodding
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 12:45pm
Probably you could. I found that the 15A breaker that controls the outlet I used to use before I installed my 30A RV outlet would trip, probably because there are other things on that circuit as well. That was before I put in the Easy-Start though.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 2:46pm
Yes, the easystart needs a few starts to "learn" how to minimize the compressor startup current. Also, 2nd and third cycles of a/c units draw more current than the first because the refrigerant builds up back pressure on the compressor when the system is hot. For the same reason, you might be fine now but have more issues in midsummer when everything is hotter. 

Try it on a 15A circuit and see, that's how you'll know. It won't hurt anything if it trips the breaker. Have everything else on that circuit shut off when you do the test. 

As for the Honda 2K, mine starts the a/c with easystart fine. While running on a hot day, it is close to full load on the Honda. If I have the charger running at anything more than float mode it will bog the genny down. So, shut everything else off when you run the a/c on the 2K and you should be OK. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply