R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWFCO CONVERTER

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: WFCO CONVERTER
    Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 3:19pm
Have had trouble with the battery charger section of the WFCO converter almost since day 1.  It worked for a month or so, then quit.  A friend experienced in vending machine repair pulled the DC power supply out, removed it from the plastic tray, and spied a bad  (black) solder joint.  Fixed that, and it worked again for a year.  Found another bad solder joint, fixed that and it worked for a few months.  ENOUGH!

Looked around for replacement - Progressive Dynamics looked good, but the DC portion might not fit into the same location as the WFCO unit - so was apprehensive.  Considered replacing the entire unit (AC and DC sides and enclosure), but that would mean re-wiring all the AC and DC, and forced me into a Progressive Dynamics 45 amp unit to get enough AC and DC branch circuits, and then there would be all that wiring.  That new Prog Dyn 45 amp complete converter would run about $300.

Finally emailed WFCO to see about replacing just the DC unit - and their response surprised me.  Hard to tell exactly who makes it - WFCO said it would be available from TV repair and on-line stores!  I ordered the DC unit from Amazon - $170.  We'll see if it holds up.  Apparently the WF - 8955 DC supply is used by a number of converter unit manufacturers, including Anterra and Parallax, because the Amazon ads said it would fit in some of their units.
Teddy
 Post Reply Post Reply