R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Can I run the AC on standard 110 VAC / 15 amp

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote TimeOutside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can I run the AC on standard 110 VAC / 15 amp
    Posted: Today at 3:27am
Noob here.

When purchasing my first camper the other day, a used 2012 RP177, I asked what limitations there would be running the camper using the 30 amp to 15 amp adapter.  The dealer told me that I should not run the (Dometic) air conditioner on a 15 amp circuit, because in the long run it would strain and burn out the compressor.  This does not make sense to me.  I understand the Dometic to pull 1000 to 1100 watts on starting.  (Eventually, I plan on getting a soft-start.)  That's only 10 amps.  Although I haven't grabbed the specs and added them up, I don't expect the other main appliances like lights, fridge, bathroom fan, propane water heater, TV, etc. to total up to be more than 5 watts.  (Yes, the coffee pot, microwave, etc. will bring up the total to over 15 watts if the AC is running.  But I can turn off the AC if I want to use these items.)

Anyway, I don't know what I don't know.  Is there an issue with running the AC when on a 15 amp circuit?

Thanks,
Andrew
Some ideas are so preposterous that only an intellectual can believe them. - Malcolm Muggeridge
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Today at 12:10pm
We have run our AC on a 15-amp circuit. You can't run much else; in particular the microwave oven or other high-amp things. So if you're running AC, make sure most everything else is turned off.

If you exceed the 15 amps, the circuit breaker will pop, and that is it. It won't damage the air conditioner.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
TimeOutside View Drop Down

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote TimeOutside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Today at 12:35pm
Thank you for that clarification.
Some ideas are so preposterous that only an intellectual can believe them. - Malcolm Muggeridge
gpokluda View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Today at 1:04pm
What GlueGuy said. You should be good to go as long as nothing else is running. Judging from the age of your Rpod, you probably do not have a power conditioner, like a Hughes Autoformer Watchdog, built in. They do sell models that can plug into the pedestal before you plug in the camper. They will condition power and detect low voltage or over voltage and shut power off before any damage is done to the camper's electrical system. Also, a soft start on the Dometic AC will help it start easier with less of a hit on the power.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Kawasaki KLR650
 Post Reply Post Reply