Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat's for Dinner?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's for Dinner?
    Posted: 15 Oct 2012 at 10:22pm
My husband and I have several trips planned in our new 171 before the end of the year.  We've never been camping for more than a weekend so preparing food in the pod for more than a week is a new challenge for me.  What are some of your favorite things to have for lunch and dinner?  Do you have a favorite website for rv recipes or tips for using the convection oven?  Do you have a favorite recipe you can share?  Thanks!
Podsible Dream View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2012 at 8:28am
We have always prepared the same style meals that we do at home, even when we were tent camping. Always on our two burner Coleman stove. Chris taught herself how to bake and cook in the cast iron Dutch oven over coals (augmented with charcoal briquettes). So after a few charred biscuit recipes, she began turning out pies, quiches, and lots of good things. We cook outside, not inside, carry a 20 qt or so plastic storage box with staples and condiments, another tub with all the stuff for baking, s'mores, snacks, pancakes, coffee/tea, and adult beverages, and then the frig and a cooler for cold stuff, veggies, eggs, milk, juice, etc. we often will head out for a long weekend with just the first dinner and breakfast ( pancakes can't be beat!) and then when we are out exploring, make a stop a a local supermarket for the rest of our provisions, additional ice, and anything we have managed to forget to pack (even after 40 years of camping together, we forget something!)
You won't find us opening a can of beans or living on pb&j sandwiches - life is too short! Break out the stemware and pop a bottle decent red, some Brie and crackers, put your feet up and relax!!!

Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
g4royce View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2012 at 11:28am
We try not to cook in the pod to avoid getting smoke, steam and grease over everything because there is no hood or vent over the stove.  Any cooking that is more involved than reheating something on the stove gets cooked/prepped outside.  We have a small coleman burner that we use to cook outside and of course a grill.

For food, we usually focus on picnic type foods such as breads, crackers, cheeses, fruits and a simple summer pastas and salads with grilled meats.  Basically things that are easy to eat out of hand or to pack and carry around.  For cooler months, I bring my pressure cooker and make risottos, soups and stews and then have plenty to reheat for later Smile We always have some food stashed in the pod we can cook on a rainy day without causing much smell. 

In terms of pod organization, rubbermaids as mentioned above by Podsible Dream are fantastic as are reusable supermarket totes and soft collapsible coolers.  In the warmer months, we move the drinks for the day outside on ice to help the fridge maintain temperature.  Collapsible totes are great for moving food and gear in and out of the pod. 

ChaiPod
2009 RP152
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2012 at 3:13pm
wildflowerz, check out the yummy recipies that g4royce has posted in the cooking section.  I get hungry every time I log on.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
wildflowerz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 7:27am
Thanks all for your responses!  I just found the Cook'n with Gas section so that will be very helpful. I also found a website called GoodRVfood which looks promising.

Two more days until the maiden voyage.  We are ready to go!
g4royce View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 9:15am
Bring lots of paper towels; they are excellent for easy cleanup Smile

If you plan on having a full hookup site (with sewer), things can be very similar to home because you won't be limited on how much water you can use before filling up the grey tank.  We have a full hook up site when we are in Quechee VT and what I make there is very different from what I make when camping elsewhere.  Have fun and report back on what worked for you. 
ChaiPod
2009 RP152
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 9:48pm
I am with Podsible, you don't have to compromise when poddin, it has everything you have at home, our 172 has the convection oven, but alas I have not utilized as I should. I love to cook at home, when weather turns cool, its soup and stew time, warms you up and sticks to your ribs, Podsible, I love a good Merlot or chiraz, fire a going wrap potato in two layers of alum foil rotate every few minutes, baked potato from heaven. nice fire, nice friends and great times.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 7:27am
Originally posted by dsmiths

I am with Podsible, you don't have to compromise when poddin, it has everything you have at home, our 172 has the convection oven, but alas I have not utilized as I should. I love to cook at home, when weather turns cool, its soup and stew time, warms you up and sticks to your ribs, Podsible, I love a good Merlot or chiraz, fire a going wrap potato in two layers of alum foil rotate every few minutes, baked potato from heaven. nice fire, nice friends and great times.

Why two layers?  Does it help from keeping the skin from burning?

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
Paige View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 7:55am
Hi,
We bought a circular cooking grate to put on the fire ring. Some campsites have them but you never know. It is wide, but we can fit it in the storage,,,just. We also have camping pots that I soap for easier cleaning when done. And we bring Brillo to help with that chore. We put a wine glass rack up under our kitchen cabinet and it holds our high class plastic wine glasses. We use our microwave for warming up leftovers and we bring a four cup coffee maker and toaster that fitnin the storage area under the fridge. Like most RPodders, we made a cover for the two burners so we have more surface area in the kitchen. And we always bring a pad and pencil to make a list of things that we need to add or remove from the RPod. Happy Podding!
Paige and Pete
2010 177 - RPug
2012 Rav (six cylinder)
New York & Florida residents
 Post Reply Post Reply