Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSuggestions for a new TV

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suggestions for a new TV
    Posted: 05 Jan 2013 at 2:02pm
We expect  to buy a new(or used) tow vehicle this spring for our 173.  We usually go out for a week or more and travel through mountains and all types of terrain(not 4 wheel off-road). We boondock and camp in parks.  There are only 2 of us, and we typically take a fully loaded pod(no liquids  in the tanks, just food and gear), 2 bikes and a canoe. 

We are currently using a Chevy Astro van and like it well enough, but feel it is minimal in the mountains.  We don't have any brand loyalty to a great degree. We have initially pared our list to a Ford Expedition, Chevy Tahoe and GMC Yukon.  I hope  to buy a vehicle that is 2-3 years old.

So far, from what we have read and seen, the biggest difference seems to be  dealing with the Tahoe/Yukon 3rd row seat issue-we don't want/need the third row and would probably remove them.  The other differences seem more with the specs(hp, torque, mpg, engine size, axle ratios, etc) and don't seem very different  overall .

I don't mean  to start a brand loyalty war, but would love to hear  any thoughts or suggestions??  We would love to hear from owners of these(or other) vehicles.

Thank you

Vann Evans
thadd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2013 at 5:49pm
After our accident in our Highlander Hybrid while towing the R-Pod, we too were in the market for a new TV so I can share a little bit of our experience. We had a $30K max price, but preferred to be a bit under that if we could. Our main requirements were comfort while towing and room for baby and pups.

I rented an Expedition while on a week-long trip in Alaska and it was enough for me to rule it out when shopping for a new TV. I didn't like the instruments/controls layouts and it wasn't comfortable for me for longer drives. 

We ended up getting a 2007 Yukon (ours is an XL Denali). 2007 was the first year of the redesign and they seem to have made some good changes then. We just wrapped up our trip towing the R-Pod from Texas to CA (5 nights, staying at KOAs) and it did really well. It felt really safe and strong in the mountains and the passenger comfort level is fantastic. We got ours at Carmax with the factory tow package and I bought a Prodigy P3 brake controller on Amazon and was able to install it myself in about 30 minutes. The only complaint is that the hitch is so high (even with a big drop shank) that we'll need to add risers. On our trip, the lack of risers coupled with a bent R-Pod axle meant lots of scraping the rear stabilizers.

The main reason we went with the Yukon was my father-in-law's experience with his two GMC Sierras. He was happy with them having put over 500K miles and his vouching went a long way for us to lean towards GMC. We've been really happy with it so far and can heartily recommend it for other podders although we've only had it for 3 weeks.
coopercdrkey View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2013 at 9:05am
+1 for GMC products.

We love our Jeep Grand Cherokee, and plan to keep it for a long time.  At just under 100K, we have to put
some maintenance bucks in it from time to time, but nothing approaching a car payment!

If we ever had to make a move, however, the GMC's would be at the top of the "possible" list.  Several
friends have GMC's or the Saturn equivalent, and they all swear by them.  I have ridden a bunch of miles,
sometimes in the back seat, and the comfort level is excellent.  I borrow a Sierra pick-up every now and
then and it pulls anything I ask it to.  The "Tow/Haul" option is very helpful.

Obviously test drive one as you narrow the field.

Bob and Joyce
Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT / Z71
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2013 at 10:18am
We had a GMC Savana conversion van for seven years before getting my current F-150 TV, and in comparison the GMC was not the vehicle the Ford is.  While the GMC never left us stuck anywhere, it had more than its share of expensive troubles.  No doubt it was comfortable, like going down the road in the living room, but every year I seemed to have to pump money into it to keep it going.  When it was time to replace it GM was not in the running for me, just Ford and Dodge.

Do your research, and pick the one you like the best.  I happen to like my absolutely trouble free Ford.  YMMV.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2013 at 11:06am
We have a 2005 Chev. Tahoe 4WD and have been extremely happy with it.  We have towed our Pod about 6K miles since purchasing it in June of 2012.  Goes up huge mountains with nary a sweat at 65 or faster if I needed to do it.  Our mileage varied from mountains of 10 MPG to 13 on the straightaways.  We have the third seats and do remove them when camping but really don't need the extra space.  Can't say enough good things about Chevy products.  Every brand has a few "lemons," however we have been extremely satisfied and will buy another when needed.  Only have about 65K miles at present.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2013 at 11:18am
  We are like coopercdrky we don't need or want a 3rd row of seats, that is just more weight to haul around and will never get used. The Jeep Grande Cherokee fit our needs with the Hemi engine and we have not been disappointed, the Jeep has the most horse power to weight with each horse pulling only 11 pounds vs. our Caravan at 19 pounds per horse. I would not buy a 4 wheel drive again as it is the only thing that we have had problems with.
  I would like one of the new Grande Cherokee's with the 6 speed trans.   Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2013 at 1:12pm
Well as a Chevy owner with 4 WD we have not had any problems.  That being said, while living in So. Cal. for many years we never had a need for 4 WD and when buying our Suburban, which I sorely miss, I ordered it without 4 WD.  However, in Oregon, we do get the occasional snow and 4 WD is just what the doctor ordered when trying to get around all of the 2 WD vehicles that have gotten stuck in 2-4 inches of snow.  You will have lower fuel economy while in 4 WD and with the additional mechanical equipment, more of a chance for maintenance problems.  But, if you need it, its fabulous.  Safe Travels. 
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
KayakkrazyUP View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2013 at 1:37pm
Although in the Midwest, we live up north in an area called "Big Snow Country". I've owned a Chevy pick-up (very smooth and nice), a number of Fords (very nice), a series of Subarus (for mileage with excellent all wheel drive). When we got the r-pod (177) we were directed from Ford to Jeep. At first reluctant, I love the new Jeep Grand Cherokee. Of course, what's not to love when you get a new car? But after 15000 miles, I like the ride, the mileage (over 20mpg), and the 3.6L V-6 tows the r-pod perfectly. It has plenty of power at about 13-14 mpg. So far, so good.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2013 at 9:17pm

My Suburban (a sister model to the Yukon XL and big sister to the Yukon and Tahoe) gets an A+ for towing and hauling.  Whether that is 8 people, my utility trailer full of 3500 pounds of mulch, or 3000 pounds of pod, I don't regret selling our Toyota Sienna for those purposes.  For the loads I pull I've found I don't use the tow/haul mode.  I like the alternative shift points and automatic downshifting, but the shift points also reduce mpgs a little so I now prefer to not use it and manually downshift when necessary.

Christmas week gave us several chances to see how the 4WD would allow it to handle on our road, which has extreme curves and hills.  Our Prius got stuck coming home from Christmas Eve services a half-mile from our house since the road hadn't been plowed yet.  The Suburban got us back to the Prius, allowed me to tow it up a hill to a neighbor's driveway, and then get home without a problem.

I have different feelings about the overall user interface, I give that a D.  After owning two Toyotas in the last decade I wish Toyota's design team had been involved in GM's truck redesign back in 2006.  I could list 50 things that drive me nuts. Such as the clock on the radio disappearing during a phone call - right when I often need it most ('yeah I'm running late I'll be there around ...<glance at clock>... 8:10').  Lots of buttons on the steering wheel but none of the ones that are really important, like the windshield defroster.  That is a little teeny button the size of the end of my pinky finger way below the radio where I have to take my eyes off the road and look way down to find it.  Even though it is a huge vehicle, there is almost no storage for all of the small stuff - sunglasses, coins, etc.  The middle and back seats have almost no storage including none on the doors (and the door storage in the front seat is impossible to reach with the door closed!).  Etc, etc.

A helpful hint if you don't like the headrests on the front seat.  They had to be designed to push your head forward to meet new whiplash safety standards, but I found I couldn't get comfortable at all.  It wasn't something that was apparent during the test drive.  Once I was home and drove it around for a while I started looking for a solution.  Someone online suggested this - you can switch the headrests from the front seat with the ones in the middle or rear.  I switched them with the middle seats.  The rear headrests don't jut forward as much so it allows you to keep your head upright in the front seat, and the larger front headrests work well in the middle seats.  To do this you need a paperclip to push in the very small release located at the base of one of the two metal poles.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 9:02am
I certainly miss our Suburban which had the 454 V8 engine.  Nothing could stop it other than a gas station.  Could haul 8500 lbs and had a huge front cabin.  However, the 8 mpg was just to expensive to maintain.  Was a wonderful vehicle and I envy you for operating yours.  The Tahoe seems to have as large a front cabin area as the Suburban.  I am 5'10" and 205.  Not overly round but I do enjoy not having the small cabin.  Will certainly replace the Tahoe with another when the time comes.  I enjoy the outside mirrors that are electrically parked when required, the rear view mirrors that are electrically heated as well as the rear window with the heating strips embedded as well as the heated front seats, among other things.  Anyway, enjoy your Suburban.  Safe Travels.
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
 Post Reply Post Reply