R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Another New 2015 RP-179HRE (They are everywhere)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnother New 2015 RP-179HRE (They are everywhere) - Event Date: 27 Apr 2014

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Another New 2015 RP-179HRE (They are everywhere)
    Posted: 27 May 2014 at 8:59pm
I'm newly retired and the wife and I picked up our 2015 179HRE last week.  We are new to TT's so we have spent the last week learning how much we don't know and this forum has been a tremendous help in trying to get us up to speed.  Thanks to all the folks who take their time to assist others in this forum.

I was amazed at how little the FR owner's manual really tells you about your specific TT.  The new owners walk through at the dealer seemed sufficient at the time but boy was I wrong.  I spent yesterday taking the queen bed floor off so I could locate how the furnace, hot water heater, and water pump can be accessed.  While I was there I made a quick mod so I could more easily access the pump and HW valves from the storage compartment without having to remove the bed.

We really like the layout of the 179 with the extra storage and kitchen space.  I have only towed the trailer a few times to set up my Prodigy P2 brake controller but the Tacoma V6 SR5 4x4 seems to have no trouble with this trailer.  

I have run across some problems with this 179 most of which are common with other threads I have read on this forum:
  • The poorly designed exterior door holding latch damaged the door before we even took delivery.  The dealer made a temporary fix and has a new door on the way from FR but I am not going to have them put this latch on the new door.  
  • When the dinette table is lowered, it is 1" higher than the surrounding couch surface making it impractical to truly use as a double bed.
  • I am looking at adding more sewer hose storage carriers since the single 26" unit provided on the tongue is not sufficient.
  • Found out today that the space around the recessed lug nuts on the custom wheels is so tight that my deep impact sockets will not fit.   In addition, both of my "x" style lug wrenches were too thick to fit.  (Off to the store to get a 13/16" deep socket with thinner walls)
  • I ordered a new television support arm that will have tilt adjustments in addition to the pan adjustments the current support arm has. The Jensen 19" tv picture has all kinds of ghosting with dark background scenes unless you are looking directly in line with the screen.  This makes it very annoying unless you are standing.
Well enough of the negatives since I think that overall this is a good trailer that we will enjoy for years to come.  We live in SE Washington and our maiden trip next week will be to the Hell's Canyon area.  
Jerry & Cathy
2015 RP-179 HRE
2013 Tacoma SR5 4x4
rascalrv View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2014 at 9:03pm
Congrats from another fellow rpod 179 owner. Can you share a photo of the access panel you made so you don't need to remove the mattress to access water heater, etc?  Thanks. 
J-Cat View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2014 at 10:14pm
Sorry I didn't take any photos (plus I am new to forum and will have to figure out how to post photos).  But this was a simple mod so here goes.  With the two plywood sections removed from the bed floor you will be able to see the L shaped storage area and the equipment section for the furnace, hwh, and  water pump.  The end of the L shaped storage area is a thin plywood wall panel which has the water pump on the other side.  This thin wall is stapled to a 3/4" sq wood floor cleat.  The floor cleat is screwed to the floor with two screws (note - the screws are not Phillips but have the square insert).  Since I didn't want to deal with these cleat screws while crawling in that small storage space, I removed these screws, installed a small cleat on the backside of the wall to keep the wall bottom from being pushed back and installed a small screw with wing nut end in the top of the wall into the existing horizontal brace.  In addition I drilled a 3/4" finger hole near the top for grabbing the wall and had to do a little trimming on the wall ends since it was really jammed in there.  I should be able to clear out the storage area, reach in, remove the wing nut, pull out the wall and access the valves.  

Another solution I may still do is to install a small door or removable panel just to the right of where the furnace grill is under the bed inside the trailer.  This will also give you access to the valves on the end of the hwh and the water pump.
Jerry & Cathy
2015 RP-179 HRE
2013 Tacoma SR5 4x4
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2014 at 12:33am
If you are going through all that trouble, just put in a door.

If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2014 at 8:01am
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2014 at 8:28am
Welcome to the group!! We are waiting for delivery on our 2015 179, supposed to be in around the 1 st of July.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2014 at 8:44am
Did you get the roll out awning to cover the top of the slide out? or did it come with one?
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
J-Cat View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2014 at 10:35am
Nice job on the door installation.  The layout on the 179 is a little different but that is what I had in mind in the last sentence of my post and this approach will work well. Thanks.
Jerry & Cathy
2015 RP-179 HRE
2013 Tacoma SR5 4x4
J-Cat View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2014 at 11:20am
We did not get an awning for the slide out and this option was not discussed with the dealer.  Are you getting one with yours? 
Jerry & Cathy
2015 RP-179 HRE
2013 Tacoma SR5 4x4
ahefner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2014 at 11:35am
I discussed this with a friend of mine that has multiple slide outs on his fifth wheel camper and he said that the slide out awnings aren't worth the money he spent on them. A simple broom to knock off anything on top and your good to go. He wishes he had his money instead of the awnings.
2014 rPod 178
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>