R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed178 Owver

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 178 Owver
    Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 9:26am
I bought a 178 in July 2015. Right away I had a problem with the WH. The more I read this forum and the problems people are having with their Pods the more nervous I get.
So far no more issues other than the WH. My wife and I love our Pod. Good luck to all who have multiple issues with theirs.

I would like to hear from people who are having good luck with their Pods.

ScitFrogPod
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 9:55am
What type of problem did you have with your water heater? How did you resolve it? This forum is basically a trouble shooting forum so yes, most of what you see will be problem based. We try to support each other, collectively, on how to resolve issues, make things better, and upgrade our PODs with MODs.

The vast majority of owners are without issues and basically won't post here because there is not much to discuss if everything is peaches and cream. 

All RVs inherently have issues given by the nature of what they are and how they are used. 

To keep things in tip top shape, ownership will require a very active hands on approach to knowing how the systems work and how to fix them, and how to prevent problems. 

So no reason to be nervous. Keep reading and asking questions and learning and soon you will be a Grand POD Master without fear. Wink

Good luck Sir/Ma'am
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
Don Halas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 11:22am
I too bought my 178 in July of this year.  The only issue so far has been the brake lights filling with water.  I was in Virginia at the time and contacted my dealer who refered me to a nice lady at Forest River.  I was afraid of not having brake and signal lights on my trip back to Connecticut.  We came to the agreement that if I needed the lights she could have them express shipped to me to arrive three days later.  That worked with my schedule.  I did my best to drain the lights and then hooked them up to power and they operated fine.  The emergency was diverted.   So now I'm going to wait until the Spring and still within my warranty period and have the lights replaced by the dealer I bought the trailer from, Stoltzfus in PA.  I don't expect there will be any issues or problems and will let you know if that isn't the situation I encounter.
ScituateRPOD View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 12:38pm
It turned out to be a bad connector at the control module regarding the water heater. I did post my water heater issue in this forum. Thanks for the comments and will definitely stay informed through this Owners Forum. 

ScitFrogPod
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by Don Halas

So now I'm going to wait until the Spring and still within my warranty period and have the lights replaced by the dealer I bought the trailer from, Stoltzfus in PA. 

Once the warranty period is over, find a new dealer for service. They proved to me - twice - that their service department doesn't know a thing about how to diagnose/repair. I would even try to find a different dealer for warranty work, if you can.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
IPPOD View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 4:17pm
ALL PEACHES & CREAM HERE:
       PICKED UP MY NEW 2013 177 IN OCT 2012 W/ A DAMAGED KITCHEN SINK, WHICH WAS REPLACED AS SOON AS NEW ONE CAME FROM FR.
       HAD ONLY ONE CONCERN (NOT A PROBLEM) OVER THE EXPOSED WIRING JUNCTION UNDER FLOOR BETWEEN THE FUSE BOX AND THE FRONT WIRING HARNESS.  JUST COVERED WITH A PVC J-BOX AND CAULKED IT IN.
NO PROBLEMS, JUST LOTS OF FUN MODS..... 15,000 MILES NOW.... LOVIN IT

Big smile
IPPOD
177=2013
Grand Cherokee 2014 5.7
Island Park, Id
GypsyGal View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2015 at 10:28am
My life partner and I bought a new 178 model in September. As newbies to the trailer ownership experience, he and I decided to buy a 5-year service warranty to lower the stress level associated with owning and maintaining a trailer. Our only issue, so far, has been a minor water leak from the back window.

After purchasing the trailer, we discovered the caulking around the back window was cracked. It was allowing a small amount of water to seep into the inside of the trailer following rain events. I called the dealership and talked to a service rep about how to fix the leak. I was able to do a DIY fix that took care of the leak. The DIY fix is the same one that has been suggested in postings that have been made to this user forum. I removed the old caulking and resealed the window using a clear silicone caulking.

I've taken the trailer out on 4 shakedown trips to get more comfortable hitching/unhitching the trailer to the tow vehicle, towing in different weather conditions, backing into tight spaces, and connecting/disconnecting to electrical services at campgrounds. The learning curve has gotten progressively smaller with each trip. We bought the trailer toward the end of the outdoor camping season in the midwest, so chose to winterize the trailer at the dealership on the day of purchase as opposed to doing it later in the fall. I still need to overcome some anxiety associated with using the plumbing, but feeling confident the learning curve will become smaller after the first experience.

By the way, this forum has been a great place to get advice about the R-Pod ownership experience. Love it!

Post Reply Post Reply