R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAxle Axle Risers or Drop Shank for e2 WDH

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Axle Axle Risers or Drop Shank for e2 WDH
    Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 2:08pm
My current TV is a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk with a factory tow package good for 4,500 lbs. I have done about 5,000 miles towing our 2015 R-Pod 178 using just an adjustable draw bar with about 6" of drop, plus a friction sway bar. Towing has been good, but I want to eliminate the bounce I get from not using a WDH. We plan another long (3,500 mile) trip for April.

The Cherokee Trailhawk has a receiver that is 23.5" to the top of the receiver opening. My 178, when level, is about 18.5" to the top of the coupler, so I can't use the e2 hitch without a drop shank (about $100 from eTrailers.com).   

Question is, in the long run, am I better off buying the e2 coupler that supports a 6" drop? Or, should I install the axle risers to bring the coupler height up 3 inches so I can use the standard e2 shank?

Any input is appreciated.
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 2:40pm
The first move should be to add the risers. A stock Pod is pretty low and is in danger of dragging the rear stabilizers going into driveways, gas stations, etc. They should be standard from the factory.

The standard E2 shank will provide ~2.5" drop at its lowest setting. This may be close enough. But if you think you need more drop and can get the new shank without paying for the standard shank that may be the way to go. I think you'll need at least the 2.5" so that may be best. Measure what you have now without WDH, allow for the risers, and remember the WDH will raise the TV rear somewhat. The WDH will not, and should not, recover all the sag you presently have. The Pod should be towed level or slightly nose down so you have considerable latitude to adjust. 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 2:53pm
While not a personal fan of risers, but that is due to personal reasons, I would honestly say that risers first would be my answer. They may be hard to find, but a fabrication shop.. or a guy with a bit of common sense, should be able to fab some up in about 20 minutes.

As a side note.. 2016 models now ALL come with a clocked axle that supposedly eliminates the need for risers.
2nd side note, we started using our WDH a few seasons ago, though "not needed" by any stretch of the imagination, the eX does ride better with it.

EDIT:  BOOM!!  2000 posts!!
Hinterlander View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 4:06pm
The risers themselves can be bought directly from Forest River for $75, plus shipping.   I just received a note back from our local "dealer" (A&S RV in Auburn Hills, Michigan) and he wants $250 to $300 to install. Since I am not fond of working ourdoors on RV axles in temperatures below freezing, a reasonable cost for installation was part of my consideration.   I have read about a dozen posts from owners that installed the risers themselves in 1.5 hours with no hoist or air tools.   It's amazing to me how these dealers can alienate their customer base for so little cash.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 4:28pm
How a repair place prices repairs and mods is VERY complex. But putting on a set of risers at a dealership is probably a 2 hour job in the book. $125 to $150 an hour is not a gouge. It's not like the only cost is that tech's 2 hours wages. Even the smallest job takes the same amount of getting the TT in and out of the bay, and lots of overhead. Taxes, insurance, retirement, all sorts of things come out of that $125-150 an hour..

All that said.. it's a dead nuts simple install. 8 bolts total and no special tools. Surely between now and April you will have 2-3 hours of warm weather.. As far $75 from FR, is that from a post on the web, or have you talked to FR recently about them? They were unavailable a couple of months ago..
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 6:38pm
... and when they were the price was well above $75 (that was years ago).
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Hinterlander View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 8:53pm
Lois Hern at Forest River quoted a price of $150, but she thought I had a Surveyor RV with tandem axles. That was about two weeks ago and I have not called her back. It could be that they charge more per piece for 2 than for the tandem set. We do occasionally get Temps in the 40's in March, which is comfortable for me. Makes more sense now to do it in the driveway. The $300 price is well above the average $95/hour an automotive dealership charges for trained technicians.   These RV dealers starve when the business cycle drops, then try to make it all up on one job when conditions improve.

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 8:59pm
I hope it all works out for you.

Comparing the RV industry to anything in the automotive or housing industry is a mistake. It sort of seems alike, but it isn't.
podrunner View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 6:42pm
I purchased risers direct from Forest River a couple of months ago and paid $150 plus $25 shipping.
2010 R Pod 151
2017 4runner
2006 Honda Metropolitan
SuJoPodders View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 12:57pm
Just traded in our 2013 177 for a 2016 179 and the first thing I noticed was the missing axle risers.
Was told that they had been replaced mid year with the new axles.
After an inquiry to Forest  River, a rep told me. "Axle risers are not std anymore on Hood River. We went to a new torsion axle with a 20 degree lift to achieve the same height as before and a more stable ride mid 2016 model year."
In the case of our new 179, I found this to be not true. Comparing the old 177, I found that the clearance on the 179 to be almost 4" less. I also had to drop my hitch almost 4" to attain a level attitude when towing.
  While I didn't take our 177 to any extreme locations, we do camp quite often at remote campgrounds at the end of some moderately rough roads. The higher clearance was welcomed on a few occasions. This, in itself, isn't a big concern. The more efficient use of space, and roomier layout of the 179 is a fair trade for the lower ride. We simply will exercise more care in where we take it.
What is a concern however, is the lack of clearance at the fenders, especially the driver's side one that is lower due to the slideout. We sometimes have to drive through snow to get away from our home to destinations during the winter. When told at chain control checkpoints that I must have chains, I have to put them on. We carry chains all the time during the winter months, and have had to use them for short periods on several occasions.

Can these new axles be adjusted?
Should install the risers myself?
And most importantly, will the risers affect handling that much?
i think the handling issue may have been the real reason for dropping the risers.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>