R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUnderstanding R-pod power

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Understanding R-pod power
    Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 5:18pm
I've been reading up a bit here on the forum regarding the use of inverters, generators, the built-in battery, etc.
Can you all help me understand a little better what to expect once I get out there in the open with my trailer? (I've never trailer-camped, dry or otherwise)

I have a dual battery in my Ford van, so if I leave that hooked up to the R-pod, will it keep that battery charging off the van batteries, without ignition?

Are there both 110 and 12v connections in the trailer?

Could I run my 1500W Vitamix off the 110 or would I need to add both a 3000w pure sine inverter and another battery?

Without TV usage and moderate Bluetooth speaker usage, how long could I expect the battery to last with just the lights and fridge being used for a two day dry-camping trip? Or would I do better to switch the fridge to propane?

If I were to get solar panels, would it be better to hook them up to my van or to the trailer using the solar charge port, or is that just a matter of preference?

Any other electrical advice you can give me?

Thanks!!
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by howmanyds

I've been reading up a bit here on the forum regarding the use of inverters, generators, the built-in battery, etc.
Can you all help me understand a little better what to expect once I get out there in the open with my trailer? (I've never trailer-camped, dry or otherwise)

I have a dual battery in my Ford van, so if I leave that hooked up to the R-pod, will it keep that battery charging off the van batteries, without ignition? The van should NOT charge the Pod batteries unless the engine is running. That keeps you from discharging your starting battery.

Are there both 110 and 12v connections in the trailer? Yes to 110V. 12V only in bigger Pods, but they are easily added.

Could I run my 1500W Vitamix off the 110 or would I need to add both a 3000w pure sine inverter and another battery? It will run when connected to shore power, not from the battery. 1500W is a lot to expect from a 12V battery.

Without TV usage and moderate Bluetooth speaker usage, how long could I expect the battery to last with just the lights and fridge being used for a two day dry-camping trip? Or would I do better to switch the fridge to propane? It depends on time of year and what kind of batteries. The furnace is usually the biggest user other than the fridge on 12V. ALWAYS run the fridge on propane if dry camping. If shore power is available, use it. If you intend on doing much off the grid you should upgrade to a pair of 6V golf cart batteries in series. The batteries should last 3-5 days.

If I were to get solar panels, would it be better to hook them up to my van or to the trailer using the solar charge port, or is that just a matter of preference? Electrically they must connect to the trailer. Whether they are physically mounted on the trailer, the van, or stand alone is your choice.

Any other electrical advice you can give me? That's an endless subject. Wink

Thanks!!
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
jstrenn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 6:24pm
Instead of buying an inverter and solar panels you may be better off with a 2000 watt inverter generator.

That will charge your batteries, run all the 120V AC in the pod except for the air conditioner.  It will run your vitamix.  Yamaha and Honda are the 2 popular brands, however I bought a Champion 3100 watt for almost half the cost, and I am happy with it so far.  1 season  with it and no problems.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 6:26pm
"Any other electrical advice you can give me? "

See the link in my signature, then read the first item on the list that appears.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
howmanyds View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 6:56pm
Awesome, thanks!!

Techntrek, that's a great collection of info! Reading...
 Post Reply Post Reply