R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhere is the table stowed in the 179

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where is the table stowed in the 179
    Posted: 16 Apr 2016 at 4:44pm
When we picked up our 179, the dealer had the table stowed under the sofa cushions and by the time we got home it was pretty much out.

Then I found a strap under the sofa that probably is used for storage so, my question is exactly where does the table stow away???

Pics would be nice.

Thanks
Dave & Joyce
Never Forget, In God We Trust; This Our National Motto.
Member; Patriot Guard Riders, Michigan Chapter
Retired; So Every Day is Saturday.... Except Sunday
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2016 at 4:49pm
The table breakdown in half, and is then slid up against the couch. The strap you see goes around the table holding it in place.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2016 at 9:48pm
What I do is to collapse the table. Then I invert it on the sofa cushion and run the strap over the bar of the table legs, fasten it to the clip under the window, and cinch it up. It rides very nicely this way.

The dealer did not show me a very effective way either. My way works much better.

Edit: A picture would help.

We traveled across country this way. I just completed a trip from NC to Lousiville, KY and back with the table strapped this way. It rides nicely and stays put.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Patriot Dave View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 6:51am
Originally posted by StephenH

What I do is to collapse the table. Then I invert it on the sofa cushion and run the strap over the bar of the table legs, fasten it to the clip under the window, and cinch it up. It rides very nicely this way.The dealer did not show me a very effective way either. My way works much better.Edit: A picture would help.We traveled across country this way. I just completed a trip from NC to Lousiville, KY and back with the table strapped this way. It rides nicely and stays put.

Thanks Stephen, the photo says it all.
Dave & Joyce
Patriot Dave View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 6:51am
Originally posted by Leo B

The table breakdown in half, and is then slid up against the couch. The strap you see goes around the table holding it in place.

Thanks for the reply.
Dave & Joyce
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 8:59am
I am really surprised that the dealers don't show buyers how to stow the table properly. I don't know how it is shipped from the factory. I would think that Forest River would not want loose tables bouncing around inside of R-Pods as they are being shipped.

Next time I get to Country Roads RV Center, where I purchased our Rpod, I will suggest that they show people how to stow it this way.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Retroactive View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 9:20am
In our 171 the table holds in place fine with the strap that goes across the top. But since there is actually nothing keeping it from sliding out if you gave it a good yank, we just used a bungee to secure the table to the strap D-ring. Securing it to the ring with bungees should be enough, we also used the ring to secure a filled spare propane tank.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 10:11am
I tried strapping around the top when we picked the trailer up initially. When I saw that it was moving around, I thought that there had to be a better way. That is why I inverted it on the cushion to strap it down. It doesn't move there.

For the spare propane tank, I have an old, plastic milk crate. A propane tank sits in it nicely. I set that in the shower. The crate keeps it from tipping or rolling, and the location means it can't slide around much. An alternate location is in the back of my TV, also in the crate. I don't even need bungees to keep it in place.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Retroactive View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 10:26am
I learned the milk crate trick the last week, when getting the tank filled. Some guy in a camry had 4 tanks in his trunk, stuffed into the crates. I have been using the tanks on grills since I was a kid, easily 30 years, and somehow I never saw anyone do that. On my 171 the dinette is right in front of the door, so I can load the tank last and then unload it first; or pop it out to be filled on the road without even putting the stairs down, the bungees hold it tight enough to just slide the tank right out of the crate. I like your idea of using the bath floor as an option, I might do that if I am transporting other stuff in the cabin of the pod. No room to put a tank in my Tahoe if all of the triplets come for the voyage, teenage girls pack a lot of stuff...
TigerPawd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 5:41pm
We have used the strap as several others have posted, and also, we have just left the table on the bed.  It showed no tendency to move forward and rub against the forward wall.

However, when we tried to put the whole thing together to use as a bed, it just didn't work well.  The five cushions shifted around, even with rubberized shelf material underneath, and worse, the bed ends up with several different levels - not real good for sleeping. 

In the end, we made a plywood "slide-in" to use when the slide-out was out.  If I have done it right, this conversion is down toward the end of page 46:

http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=842&PN=46&title=list-your-mods

So far, it's been much more satisfactory than the factory installation.  The old table is in storage and the replacement is a couple of TV tables that are much lighter and easier to move outside. 
Joan, Jerry and the two Pugs
2015 R-Pod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>