R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Help! City water connected and my fresh water fill
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHelp! City water connected and my fresh water fill - Event Date: 14 Jun 2016

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Help! City water connected and my fresh water fill
    Posted: 14 Jun 2016 at 8:01pm
Help!!

We are in Glacier Park and just returned from Whitefish and my water is connected to the city hookup and it has somehow filled up my fresh water tank and it is overflowing out the fresh water input. I noticed my storage compartment on that side is wet a little. My RPod is an R177 

StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2016 at 9:33pm
How old is your R-Pod? It sounds like a check valve in the pump has failed. By check valve, I mean that there should be a valve that allows water to flow from the tank through the pump but not back through the pump into the tank. If a check valve has failed and it is under warranty, your dealer should be able to help get it fixed. If it is out of warranty, you have the choice of fixing it yourself or paying to have it done for you.

Another question: Are you using a pressure limiting device? City water connections can be well above the recommended 50 psi maximum. I use a Camco regulator. You can also find them in the automotive department at Wal-Mart with other RV equipment. They are not expensive. If the pressure is too high, it might have blown a fitting or burst a water line which would explain water in your storage compartment. You might want to open things up to see the fittings from the back side and check to see if everything is intact and tight.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2016 at 9:37pm
Maybe obvious temporary solution is to just use the water from the tank, topping it off as necessary.  If all else fails, that should get you home and give you more time to troubleshoot.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
chfgraegl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2016 at 9:57pm
Thank you for responding fellow R-Podders 🙏

I found a topic from someone who had a similar problem last year. He suggested that I might have a stuck check valve and that I should turn off the city water and run my pump for the fresh water for a few minutes, then turn the city water on again and it might reset the check valve. I followed the advice and the problem is solved. 
I am using a pressure regulator so I think I'm ok in that regard. Interesting that in Yellowstone the pressure regulator got jammed with sand and I couldn't get water in the Pod. I finally figured that out. Not a bad idea to carry a spare pressure regulator. 

Nothing like the first long road trip to acquire some experience . Our trip is taking us thru the Tetons then Yellowstone and now we're up in Glacier national Park and then into Bannf and Lake Louise and then back down the Washington and Oregon coasts into California . 

Nice to know there are good folks like you that are willing to help , thanks so much and Happy Trails to you all 👏👏👏👏

StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2016 at 10:38pm
Glad you got it solved! Thumbs Up

This is another thing to file in the memory if the need should arise to use it. I agree that the first long trip leads to lots of learning. We found that out last year when we set out from North Carolina to see out daughters and their families in Nevada and Arizona. A lot of my modifications stem from that and subsequent trips. Big smile
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply