R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow are others pulling the walls to run wires?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: How are others pulling the walls to run wires?
    Posted: 04 Jul 2016 at 3:17pm
I want to place a couple of the Bayline meters on the wall above the factory meter and switches in my 179, but am not sure how to get in there to 1) run the wires and 2) glue some reinforced backing for the meters without destroying the wall in the process.   I've seen some mods where others have put meters and the like in this area.   How are you doing it?
2016 HRE R-179 "CapPODccino"
2011 F-150 SLX
ronahue View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2016 at 4:24pm
If you are referring to the wall with the slide switch, that is a double wall. I accessed it from inside the top closet. Remove the top and bottom trim pieces held in by small brads, loosen the cabinet door catch and you can take a knife or small screw driver to remove the panel. This will provide access to all the wires and switches. Be advised the wall is only double to the bottom of the top cabinet then it becomes a single wall. I tapped my gauge and USB charging wires to the feeds for the slide switch which was good enough for me however a purist would run the wires down to the converter.
Ron & Sharon
2015 R-Pod 179
2022 Nissan Frontier

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but a billion electrons were really agitated
sailor323 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2016 at 6:32pm
Like ronahue, I accessed that area from the upper cabinet.  Removed the panel there, mine was attached to the framework with 4 tiny nails.  Easily removed.  If you want to run wires to the fuse panel, you can remove the faucet plate and feed the wires around the corner and then down to the fuse panel.
bjk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2016 at 8:40pm
Thanks for the responses!   I'll get brave another weekend and pull that inside panel.
2011 F-150 SLX
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2016 at 1:40pm
When I installed my inverter power switch on that wall, I let gravity do most of the work. The inverter is in the dead space behind the TV and stereo, so I started by pulling the stereo and dropping the power control wires behind the drawers under the stereo and under the bathroom. Removing the vent cover gave me an access point. I then removed the switch panel and dropped a separate piece of wire down as a fish line, taped the wires from the inverter to the fish line, and pulled them up and out the switch panel hole.
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2016 at 3:07pm
Great tip!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
rynosurf View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2016 at 4:11pm
I pulled the factory gauge cluster out and used the cutout as my access point. I was able to run a fish line through the void in the wall from there down to the AC/DC panel.
2016 179 Hood River Edition
2006 4x4 Tacoma DC short bed
bjk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2016 at 8:08pm
I just finished doing most of my wiring (haven't tackled the kitchen pantry wall or the TV wall yet) was to take two coat hangers and retwist the ends so hooks were at both ends (making one very long stiff wire).   Then I removed the panel under the bed and was able to slide the hanger the entire length under the drawers/shower/pantry to the converter box.   Then it was just a matter of hooking my wires and pulling it through.   Didn't even need to use the vent access to get at things.   I was able to pull two runs, one that I was then able to fish under floor with the other to come out by the heater under the bed.  The other I was going to run up the wall later.

I took pictures, but having a fit getting them off my camera.  I'll post them later once I finish my mods.
2011 F-150 SLX
 Post Reply Post Reply