R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAir conditioning cause septic odors

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Air conditioning cause septic odors
    Posted: 03 Sep 2016 at 8:24pm

Dear fellow Podders,

Please start reading this post by understanding the following egotistical statement:  I am a very smart guy with three engineering degrees (mechanical, electrical and ship design) from the best engineering schools in the world.  And what else is the R-pod if it is not a ship on the ocean of tarmac?  And, despite my high qualifications and world-beating intelligence, I am stymied by the following conundrum:  why does my air conditioner suck fumes from my black tank?  I’ve already tried the obvious, thank you very much.

Problem description:  “lovely” odors during flushing only when the AC is running.  Does not occur when the AC is not running, even if Fantastic Fan is operating.  FF also serves very well to clear the odor very quickly.  All P-traps are full of water, black tank has sufficient deodorant, dealer has already checked out toilet operation and top vent operation (annoyingly proper).  R-pod forums searched for prior experience with same issue with negative results – guess I’m unique (like everyone else).

Oh, and my black tank sensors lie to me.  Guess you’ve already experienced that.

Time for your best thinking:  what causes this?  Nobel Prize goes to the winner, of course.  Please don’t reply with commiseration or “I have no idea,” because my darling wife has already supplied both of those sentiments.  And, I said the same to her, bless our hearts!

Anybody else out there with AC that pulls a vacuum on the black tank?  Let’s start a new group:  #Sulfurous_Suckers_of_Septic_Smells?  Very alliterative, don’t you think?

Humorously and frustratedly yours, Jim

Best regards, Jim
2015-RP178
TV 2015 Audi Q7 TDI and 2017 Ford F150
At home in "Our Pod"
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2016 at 9:28pm
Black tank sensors are useless.  Gray, sometimes ok.  Fresh water, usually ok.  Battery indicator doesn't provide much useful info (voltmeter is much better).

Problem description:  negative cabin air pressure causing air flow through the toilet via the black tank vent.  Theoretically cabin pressure should be neutral or close to neutral.

Possible root cause:  seal failure in the A/C after the intake allowing pressurized air to escape instead of returning to the cabin.  Normally the plastic case inside the A/C is screwed and clipped shut but the cover may be loose.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Q7-retired View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2016 at 10:00pm
Doug, thanks.  Where do you suggest I look for the leak?
Best regards, Jim
2015-RP178
At home in "Our Pod"
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2016 at 11:23am
You'll have to get on the roof and remove the outer A/C cover (4 screws).  Inside you'll see the casing where the air flows, front to back.  The top is held down by screws and clips.  I would turn on the fan and feel for any leaks at the seam.
Q7-retired View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2016 at 5:56pm
thanks, I appreciate the pointer.  I realized this morning that i hadn't asked a very good return question, but you rightly divined what I should have asked.  If you like, i can grant you a honorary membership in the #S4 club ...
Best regards, Jim
2015-RP178
At home in "Our Pod"
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 6:38pm
Will be interested to see if you find the culprit up there.
 Post Reply Post Reply