R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNo-Hookups Camping Questions - Event Date: 10 Sep 2016 - 15 Sep 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: No-Hookups Camping Questions
    Posted: 10 Sep 2016 at 9:14pm
Hi! I've never posted to a forum before and I'm fairly new to TT and camping. 

My husband and I have a 2011 181g purchased in 2014.

I'm trying to figure out what exactly runs off of the electric and the propane? Previously, we have always camped at full hookups. But this time a friend convinced us to go camping with them at a state park - Sleeping Bear Dunes. They will be in a tent and say no generators at night. And that they have no electricity/hookups whatsoever. 

I'm used to having hot water showers, using the toilet at night, plugging in (charging) my phone and computer, using the microwave if needed, cooking on the stove, having perishables in the fridge, washing dishes, using the a/c or heater, running a white noise machine while sleeping and watching a movie before going to bed. 

This will be from a Thursday evening to a Sunday evening. My showers are very short. We have one battery and one propane tank. But what else will we be able to do and not do to last that long in our pod?

Thank you for any detailed help/suggestions/information you could give us!

Thumbs Up

JHoffman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2016 at 11:09pm
Make sure you have propane and a good charge on the battery. You can run the fridge  and hot water heater on propane.  You will need to fill your fresh water tank.  With gas, battery and water tank filled you will be able to keep your perishables cold and your shower hot.  One battery will last you the four days as long as you use minimal lights.  You won't be able to use any of the 110 volt outlets, use the microwave or run the air conditioning.  Your TV will have to be replaced with watching the camp fire. 😁. You could charge a cell phone if you have a small inverter or if the previous owner has wired in a 12v outlet.  I find it very relaxing to disconnect from the world for a few days and enjoy family and friends around a camp fire without the distractions of cell phones and computers. Enjoy your trip!  
P.S.  Most all State parks do have shower houses and most are clean and private. Take a roll of quarters with you, most are coin operated but $.50 will still get you a decent shower. 
2016 176t Rpod the "Hoffpod"
2010 Toyota Tundra 5.7L
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2016 at 11:21pm
You can use everything when off the grid except the: Television/DVD (unless 12v), the 120v receptacles (plugs), no Oven, and no Air Conditioner. Set the fridge and HWH to propane. Try not to use the heater because the blower uses a lot of battery power. You may want to test and make sure your propane function is working good on everything before going. Stretching a single G24 battery for three nights of camping can be done but you will have to conserve and make sure your battery is in tip top shape before you go. 

Use your tow vehicle to charge phones. 
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2016 at 11:40pm
No problem with the battery if it is good condition.  We easily get 3 days plus when camping in the mountains with night temps in the upper 30's to low 40's and the furnace runs a lot during the night.  Our batteries (deep cycle group 24's) were purchased spring 2011 and still work well for us.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 6:11am
Originally posted by jato

No problem with the battery if it is good condition.  We easily get 3 days plus when camping in the mountains with night temps in the upper 30's to low 40's and the furnace runs a lot during the night.  Our batteries (deep cycle group 24's) were purchased spring 2011 and still work well for us.

Just want to point out the OP states they have 1 single group 24 battery, not 2. 
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
podrunner View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 11:19am
If your interior lights have not been upgrade to LED, do so now.  There are a lot of threads on the site about doing this; easy and cheap from amazon and others.  Also take a set of jumper cables, if your battery is getting low, just direct connect to your tow vehicle and run the engine for 20 to 30 minutes and you will dump a lot of amps back into your trailer battery.  Happy camping and have a great time..
2010 R Pod 151
2017 4runner
2006 Honda Metropolitan
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 11:28am
Originally posted by podrunner

If your interior lights have not been upgrade to LED, do so now.  There are a lot of threads on the site about doing this; easy and cheap from amazon and others.  Also take a set of jumper cables, if your battery is getting low, just direct connect to your tow vehicle and run the engine for 20 to 30 minutes and you will dump a lot of amps back into your trailer battery.  Happy camping and have a great time..

Good advice on both items. On the jumper cables I would add "good jumper cables". That means #4 AWG or better 100% Copper cables. High charging currents require very low voltage drop in the jumpers due to the limited charging voltage in newer tow vehicles.  In this case cheap does not save money; it wastes money.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 11:45am

we use flannel lined sleeping bags, and only run the furnace just prior to getting up to start the stove to percolate the coffee.  Charge your C phone in the truck.
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 12:15pm
100% Agree with Charlie about the quality of jumper cables. One time an old friend once said:

"there is absolutely no money to be saved on house paint, tents, or jumper cables" 

Smile Good Luck, Have Fun! 
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 1:56pm
To clarify my point, my bad here is that we get 3 plus days PER BATTERY when camping in the mountains . . .)  Last time we were in Moraine Campground, RMNP we got a total of 7 days out of our 2 batteries, and they got used a lot between the furnace running a lot at night (none during the day as we were gone hiking and the furnace was turned off), and running most of the interior lights  (all L.E.D.'s). 
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>