R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSuggestion on air compressor to winterize

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suggestion on air compressor to winterize
    Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 9:32pm
I live in SC and spoke with the RV dealer who sold me the rpod.  We have enough cold weather that I should winterize.  Given our temps warm and cool over and over during the winter, winterizing by blowing out the water lines seems necessary I will us the rpod in slightly cold temps over the winter [mid to upper 20s for a portion of the night) so anti freeze in the lines seems a bit much.  Can someone please recommend an air compressor that is not overkill for the tak of winterizing something as small as the rpod?  Thanks.
Robwid View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 9:55pm
I've used an inexpensive Craftsman compressor designed to pump up tires and it worked great.  I would blow out the water lines and then used rv antifreeze.  This year I skipped blowing out the water lines and just used antifreeze.  I'm not sure but maybe blowing out the water lines with compressed air is for larger rv's with elaborate plumbing.
Rob
2012 HRE 177
2010 Toyota Tacoma
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 10:15pm
Considering it costs about $2 dollars for the anti freeze, and takes about 5 minutes to use.. why buy a compressor, if you have no other need?
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 10:41pm
+1
Unless you need (or just want to get) a compressor for other tasks, just use the RV antifreeze. That being said, Sears has a small Stanley compressor for a good price. It isn't suitable for big jobs, but it should also be easier to store. It is even cheaper at Rural King. For that price, it might be worth picking up for the occasional winterization, tire inflation, or other job that does not require a compressor with a larger capacity.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 9:17am
we have always used a bicycle hand pump(floor model)  with the camco blow out plug to remove the water in the lines before the rv antifreeze. 

here is the plug
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/blow-out-plug/4410

drain all  the tanks and lines as much as possible, screw the plug into the city water line hookup, attach the bicycle pump hose and pump away with one valve(faucet) open at a time . the excess water spurts out as the pipe empties.

Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 11:47am
Jewel, do you know anyone with a compressor that you could borrow?  For the past 5 years I have used one where I work, I dial it down to 60 psi and it takes me less than 1 minute to blow out our 177.  Never have had any problems.  Using a smaller compressor, or even a bicycle pump will obviously take longer but IMHO sure beats  the nasty taste of rv antifreeze in your drinking water come the following spring.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by jato

Using a smaller compressor, or even a bicycle pump will obviously take longer but IMHO sure beatsĀ  the nasty taste of rv antifreeze in your drinking water come the following spring.
Th.

Well, part of winterizing with antifreeze is flushing it out in the Spring. I never notice the slightest taste. Of course if you get all of the water out with air there's nothing to freeze. It only takes a tiny bit of water to crack the toilet valve though.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 8:32pm
If I didn't have a compressor with storage tank(capacity), I'd go with the pink stuff. 
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
 Post Reply Post Reply