R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMaximum of hours driven in a day...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Maximum of hours driven in a day...
    Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 9:23pm
We're planning a long trip in early summer and were wondering if there are any limitations on the number of hours you drive daily. I'm concerned about the trailer tires. We still have the original factory tires on our 2016 179. Since we're new to this, we don't want to push our luck. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!
2017 179 "Big Sexy"
2012 Honda Pilot
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 9:44pm
The longest we have towed in one day was 12 hrs. we usually try to keep it around 6 hrs.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
ricon View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 11:41pm
17 h with 2 stops under 30 min
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 1:05am
The tires don't care.  How long you drive is up to you.  The tires will probably last until they time-out.  They should be replaced at about 5-6 years of age regardless of remaining tread.  Sooner if the tread dictates.

Check the tire pressure frequently and torque the wheel lug nuts before every trip.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 6:40am
[QUOTE=Tars Tarkas]The tires don't care.  How long you drive is up to you.  The tires will probably last until they time-out.  They should be replaced at about 5-6 years of age regardless of remaining tread.  Sooner if the tread dictates.

Last spring we replaced the tires on our 177 for the 1st time, they had around 20,000 miles and were 6 years old.  Appearance wise, they had a lot of life left but, "by the book" it was time to replace.  I can't drive those long distances like you in the above posts; 8 - 9 hours is tops.  I am kidded a lot by my older brother because I will spend nearly 3 days travel to get to Colorado from northern Michigan; a 21 hour trip.  My brother and his wife drive nearly non-stop, the only time the car stops is to get gas and during that time those two will "drain their radiators."  While driving one drives, the other sleeps (I struggle to sleep while in the car/ especially good if I am driving) so there you have it, they make their destination in under a day.  When they drive to California, same thing, I forget the number of hours but it takes them under a day and a half.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
osage View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 10:00am
In our younger days we would drive from eastern Kansas to Rocky Mountian natl. park in one day now it takes us 2-3 days  just not in a hurry in more.
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 10:42am
M&M,

I would be more concerned about bearing heat. Agree tires if inflated correctly, not exceeding speed recommendation and lugs torqued don't care. I have a handheld infrared heat sensor I check on wheel heat, but same can be done with hand to ensure wheel bearings are not overheating. Best to do maintenance before trip begins. Make sure brakes are adjusted and bearings packed/greased. Hitch secured and brakes working. Watch the weather. Trailers and slippery don't mix.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 10:04pm
The equipment will be fine if you drive for 10 or 100 hours non-stop.  The weak link is you.  I can do 14+ hours driving a car.  Driving a TV with a camper on the rear is much more taxing.  I plan for a max of 10 but have at times gone an extra hour or two if I'm still feeling good at the 10-hour mark.  I've stopped earlier than that.  You need to find out what works for you.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Grandpa Hiker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 6:31am
I am trying to learn that life is a journey not a destination. For years it has been "how soon can I get there? What is the shortest route?"

Now I am trying to enjoy the scenery along the way. The trip will be over soon enough.
Rob & Becky
2014 Ford Explorer 3.5 SOHC V6
2015 R-179 Pod aka Piddle Pod

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain!!"
 Post Reply Post Reply