Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedwhich r-pod should I buy?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 14>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Sleepless View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: which r-pod should I buy?
    Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 2:00pm
Years ago (1979) we bought our first motor home and it did not have air conditioning so I installed a Coleman roof unit.  Most campgrounds at the time only had 20 amp service, making it almost impossible to run the air and a few other appliances at the same time.  Knowing this, I wired the air conditioner on a dedicated circuit, running the cable to a new electrical inlet box on the exterior of the motor home.  Most campgrounds were not that busy, so I would plug in the motor home as intended into one 20 amp service outlet and run a separate cord to another 20 amp service outlet.  This doubled my shore power from 20 to 40 amps.

I have thought about installing a dedicated circuit inside the pod for an electric heater (or a blow dryer), extending to a new electrical service inlet box on the exterior of the pod.  It would be a very simple installation.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by SchipperPod

So there's not a limit to how much wattage something is drawing?

Total wattage available is governed by the electrical hookup.  Using the pod cable and 30 amp service, 30 amps are available, but less than that is available through the duplex outlets inside the pod.  If your A/C is on, you could not use your blow dryer.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
SchipperPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 10:52am
And just a caveat, I have enjoyed working with my sales rep. from Ohio.  He seems to have been very honest with me so far.  It's just that I've done most of my research locally; that experience hasn't been as good...
Happy tails and trails!
Teri & Jeff Black
Plus 4 Schipperkes: Kodi, Jessie, Maggie & Bear
2014 R-Pod 178
2013 Santa Fe Sport Turbo
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 10:51am
Also, I've read some detailed information on your "manuals" post about battery maintenance.  Did they change the battery type in the newer models?  My local dealer told me there wasn't anything I needed to do to maintain the batteries in the 2014 and that they don't build up a "memory" charge.  But I'm finding I don't trust what a lot of dealers are telling me, since they seem to say whatever it takes to make the sale.  At least that's been my experience so far.  I'm sure there are some good and honest dealers out there!
Happy tails and trails!
Teri & Jeff Black
2014 R-Pod 178
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 10:45am
So there's not a limit to how much wattage something is drawing?
Happy tails and trails!
Teri & Jeff Black
2014 R-Pod 178
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 8:10am
Originally posted by SchipperPod

Another newbie question?  And a bit of a dumb blonde question!  (yes, I'm blonde.)  If I have electric power hookup at a camp site, will I be able to run my 1800 watt blow dryer?!  My husband just shakes his head at me, but if I can't dry my hair, I'm NOT a happy camper - pun intended!  I could probably find a lower watt dryer, but I love my 1800 watt.  With I blow the breakers - even if I'm careful not to have anything else running?  If I can't do the 1800 watt, what wattage could I run and not slag something?  Lol!  Also, I'm thinking of getting the dual Yamaha generators.  Would I be able to run this dryer with them?

Yes you can run a blow dryer. What you cannot do (just like at home) Is run the blow dryer, space heater, toaster, and electric skillet all at the same time, on one circuit. And unlike at home, they will all be on one circuit. So don't blow dry your hair while making toast in the kitchen and warming the dome with a space heater. Been there done that. It won't slag your trailer, but it will trip the breaker. My wife uses a blow dryer when camping.

Actually, the dual Yamaha genny setup will allow you to use your Pod exactly as if you were on pedestal power. So yes, you can run your hair dryer. Assuming you are talking the 2000i series, you should, theroreticaly, if nothing else is drawing power, be able to run it (blow dryer) on one. But to run anything else, or the a/c, even by itself, you need two.
RPodWeGo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2013 at 11:44pm
"Just Do It"
RPodWeGo
RPod 177
04 v8 Toyota 4Runner
DavidW View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2013 at 10:14pm
Those are all GREAT new features!

But if I had waited for the 2015 178 I would have missed out on a wonderful summer exploring our Ontario Provincial Parks and beyond with our 2014 178.  Might as well enjoy each possible summer that we can. Smile

Cheers,

David
David & Liz
2014 R-Pod 178
2019 Chevy Traverse
And Lily (our 8 yr old Golden)
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2013 at 9:41pm
That was really a silly and vain prior post!  But I don't understand why my power limitations are...

Happy tails and trails!
Teri & Jeff Black
2014 R-Pod 178
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2013 at 9:37pm
Another newbie question?  And a bit of a dumb blonde question!  (yes, I'm blonde.)  If I have electric power hookup at a camp site, will I be able to run my 1800 watt blow dryer?!  My husband just shakes his head at me, but if I can't dry my hair, I'm NOT a happy camper - pun intended!  I could probably find a lower watt dryer, but I love my 1800 watt.  With I blow the breakers - even if I'm careful not to have anything else running?  If I can't do the 1800 watt, what wattage could I run and not slag something?  Lol!  Also, I'm thinking of getting the dual Yamaha generators.  Would I be able to run this dryer with them?
Happy tails and trails!
Teri & Jeff Black
2014 R-Pod 178
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 14>