R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTrailer Coupler Lock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer Coupler Lock
    Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 11:23am
Originally posted by henryv

Don't get much for a nickel anymore! I thought of an idea too..I have a friend who's a welder. Spot weld a couple little pieces on the inside that would prevent the puck from moving so much.

So, since it was Friday, and the weather is nice.. I did some experimentation.
If I remove the outer collar, and mount the lock to it, I can wobble the lock quite a bit. But, that's because of free play with the narrower hasp point..

So, looking at it.. my $.05 fix. (it actually took $.10 to make this perfectly snug) in this setting. Again, for whatever reason, (manufacturing tolerance stacking I am sure) Ours is perfectly tight when assembled and mounted.

They could be held in place with a drop of super glue or silicone, heck, even duct tape..

GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 11:19am
It probably has to do with the tightness of the two tabs underneath the puck lock. In furpod's case, they are tight, but in the video I watched it looked very loose.

The simple fix is to replace the machined aluminum puck lock with a hardened steel puck lock. That or figure out a way to tighten up the space behind the lock and/or add a "lip" at the back/rear of the puck enclosure.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
henryv View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 11:06am
Don't get much for a nickel anymore! I thought of an idea too..I have a friend who's a welder. Spot weld a couple little pieces on the inside that would prevent the puck from moving so much.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 7:39am

I asked him to make the video. I could sue him for false advertising, own his business, then make the proper corrections. That way I'm not out 200 bucks. And it could be a class action suit... want in?

If you are asking me, NO.
I won't even begin to try to explain my thoughts on such a course of action.

I am pretty sure it has been established that NO lock or system is unbeatable. If you feel the security of this isn't what you expected, send it back for a refund. 

Interestingly, a Google search, and You Tube search, finds lots of videos of ways to defeat a puck lock, most by picking, and a few by destroying the lock or hasp in some manner. I see no one prying one off. Also, after thinking about it, pretty sure I know a $.05 fix to your fit problem, but have to go pull my lock off and look..
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 7:25am
Doesn't the lock have some sort of guarantee?  I would think a complete remedy would be getting your money back.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
henryv View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 6:48am
I asked him to make the video. I could sue him for false advertising, own his business, then make the proper corrections. That way I'm not out 200 bucks. And it could be a class action suit... want in?
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 7:06pm

Glue Guy, I just received the Proven Industries lock. The puck doesn't fit snug like it's pictured in Furpod's. It fits loose and looks like the perfect space underneath to get a crowbar in there. I'm disappointed and thinking about returning it already. I looked at it again and the puck is real loose and there is a big space underneath between the housing and the puck that you could get a crowbar in there behind the puck and pry it out. The video showed a man breaking off other locks with a crowbar, so I assumed this one is crowbar proof. Now I'm not convinced. I emailed the company in Florida and the owner got back to me and we are discussing it. Is there more than one company that makes them?

I hate to hear that. I think you should shoot video of trying to break into it with a crowbar, just as was suggested. If you get it open, send them the video, and ask for a replacement that fits better.. if not, send the pieces back and get your money back.
henryv View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 3:08pm
Glue Guy, I just received the Proven Industries lock. The puck doesn't fit snug like it's pictured in Furpod's. It fits loose and looks like the perfect space underneath to get a crowbar in there. I'm disappointed and thinking about returning it already. I looked at it again and the puck is real loose and there is a big space underneath between the housing and the puck that you could get a crowbar in there behind the puck and pry it out. The video showed a man breaking off other locks with a crowbar, so I assumed this one is crowbar proof. Now I'm not convinced. I emailed the company in Florida and the owner got back to me and we are discussing it. Is there more than one company that makes them?
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 5:02pm
bikenpod,

Go back to Page 1 of this post, 3rd input from Glueguy, there is a review of the Top 4 hitch locks. Master lock is there.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
bikenpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 4:47pm
Anyone know about the Master Lock device available on Amazon for about 30 bucks?  Looks pretty good at first blush.   It probably is not as fail safe as the Proven Industries lock but it may be good for keeping honest people honest during short excursions away from base camp.
2018 179
2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>