R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSetting up E2 WD hitch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Setting up E2 WD hitch
    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 12:10pm
If the front of the truck is not moving, then the rear must be moving. I would try to go for "level". Measure the angle of the box rails on you Tacoma, and see if you can adjust to where they are MOL level.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
IronStinky View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 12:03pm
Hi gang,

I'm towing an R-Pod 180 with a Tacoma Off-Road with tow package. I picked up a WD hitch because the trailer weighs more than half the weight of the truck.

Installing the E2 over the weekend, I found a nice flat spot in a Tractor Supply parking lot (figured if I needed a tool or something I was in the right place). Installed the hitch ball in the E2, and step 1 of the instructions said to measure from the ground to the fender at the front axle with nothing attached to the truck, this was 35 inches. Then it said to lower the trailer onto the hitch without using the WD bars and measure how much the front of the truck raised up. Well apparently the Tacoma Off-Road has magic suspension, because even though the rear end definitely squatted down significantly, the front stayed at exactly 35 inches.

The problem is that EVERYTHING in the setup from that point forward is geared towards getting the front end about halfway back to the original measurement (or thereabouts). But since the front end didn't move, basically ANY combination of washers and L-bracket height results in the same measurement at the front. The instructions offer no help for this situation.

The "starting point" of 6 washers and the middle position of the L-brackets was so out of whack that I couldn't even get the pry bar under the spring arm and up on the L-bracket. So basically my setup strategy was, I removed enough washers and lowered the L-bracket enough that when I lifted the back of the Tacoma with the tongue jack, I could pry the spring arms onto the L-brackets. Then I lowered the tongue jack to tension the spring bars.

This didn't seem very scientific to me, and my guess is that I'm over-distributed, but there's no way for me to tell because the front suspension never moves from 35 inches. I called E2 and a very nice gentleman basically told me everything sounds fine as long as I'm not lifting the back of the truck more than an inch or so with the tongue jack (which I definitely am).

I'm going to play around with it some more when I get home from work today, but I'm just wondering if anyone here has set up a similar vehicle and had similar issues?

Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12