Topic ClosedHello All, been thinking of becoming a podder

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
alan7170 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello All, been thinking of becoming a podder
    Posted: 13 Aug 2013 at 8:23pm
We have a 177 and I would discourage you from it based on your height.  I love the trailer, but the bed length from wall to wall is only 6'4" so your head and feet will be in contact with the trailer...not sure if other rpod models are wider or not?

CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2013 at 7:17pm
It's my unscientific observation that the 177 is the most popular model, although I predict the new 178 will overtake it. However, it is longer and heavier.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
ahefner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2013 at 6:58pm
Im leaning towards the 177. My wife and mosquitos dont get along at all. She is allergic to them so she tries to spend her time inside during the evenings. We both love to go swimming, hiking, biking and exploring during the day light hours but evenings are another story. The 177 is sounding more and more like the better choice.

I tend to take very good maintenance of my tools and vehicles and I dont expect the rPod to be an exception so I doubt I will have many if any problems with a slide out.
francoisfrogpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2013 at 6:56pm
Techntrek, how was your extended vaca? DH and I are seriously considering one of those around Christmas. I'm a teacher at the college level so winter break is the only time I get more than a week off at a time. How was it in the pod for such a long time? We've stayed in our previous camper, a pop-up for 12 days and weren't ready to come home, so I know we could make it work in the pod.
Denny and Linda

2013 Pod 177
'08 Santa Fe
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2013 at 5:35pm
While we never really considered the 171 if I were in the market now the choice would be 177 or 178. I think the 178 would win.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2013 at 3:10pm
Welcome.  We've had our 171 four years now and still love many things about it.  There's another aspect of being an inside vs. outside camper.  When we are camping we are outside most of the time, usually not coming inside until midnight and then going right outside to eat breakfast.  When we are touring the pod is more like a portable hotel room and we tend to be inside more of the time - coming back from sightseeing or finishing up a full day on the road and climbing inside at 9.  Eating a late dinner, catching up on emails and forum surfing.  Then often spending the morning eating and showering inside (especially when staying at a truck stop or Wal-Mart) until we emerge at 8 or 9.

If you'll do more touring you may want the extra room.  We just finished up a 3 week trip and I would have preferred the 177 or 178 since we were inside more.  For our camping trips the 171 is fine.  The first slide-out models weren't announced until the week we picked our 171 up from the dealer and I'll admit I wondered many times if we would have gone for the 177 if we had the option, although not towing that extra 300 pounds was a plus.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2013 at 8:44am
Originally posted by Camper Bob

Welcome.  I am a 171 owner and have been very happy.  I think you have to consider what type of camper are you.  Do you prefer to spend more of your time inside or do you want to commune with nature as much as possible and then go inside for sleeping and bathing?  We cook outside as many of the cooking odors remain inside, even with bath fan on.  We ever ordered ours without the TV antenna.  Either hiking, reading or just hanging out are what our interests are.  Others prefer to watch movies or tv in the evening.  The additional weight is something to consider as well as the additional mechanical issues that possibly may be of concern.  For us the 171 is perfect, for others the slideout is preferred.  Your choice.  Safe Travels.  
Couldn't have said it better myself Camper Bob!

Your choice of Pod, or any other trailer for that matter, should really be a reflection and extension of the type of camping you like to do.  Too little amenities and you won't like it for what it doesn't have that you wanted and you won't want to go out and use it as much as you possibly could ... too many amenities and the work/upkeep on it may may you think it is too much of a hassle and not worth the time & energy.  That's why there are so many different floorplans, sizes and options available ... you can find the one that matches what you want to use it for.
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
ahefner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2013 at 8:27am
Thanks for all the input guys. Truly a helpful community.

From my understanding about the slide out is as long as it gets maintained they seem to be trouble free. This is coming from my research and reading.
Paige View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2013 at 8:12am
We have a 177 and love it. Being able to move around in the trailer is made so much easier with the slide.  We pull it with a Rav six cylinder, 3500 pulling capacity. Yes it decreases the gas mileage in half, but that was to be expected. An e2 hitch made the towing so much smoother. As for the bed and you being 6'4" , that might be a challenge.
Paige and Pete
2010 177 - RPug
2012 Rav (six cylinder)
New York & Florida residents
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2013 at 8:10am
We chose the 177 for the floor space. It seems that questions like yours raises the question of problems with slides, but I can only recall one person who had a slide problem in the time I have been here. We are in our third year and slide performance has been flawless.

After having a 177 I wouldn't even consider a 171.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>