R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGas Mileage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 21>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gas Mileage
    Posted: 31 May 2012 at 11:25am
Somewhere on this long thread I think something like these things were mentioned, but just came across this and wanted to pass it on.  http://www.psmag.com/environment/leonardo-of-the-deep-42405/
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 8:52pm
I wish the Pod had a more aerodynamic shape, how ever, factor in the neat shape, the graphics, all the things that brought us all to the Pod, the weight, interior layout. It all boils down to we saw it, we like it, we bought it, and we are going to have FUN in it. Damn the torpedos, full speed ahead. I can live with 11 to 13 mpg. The free feeling of "heading out" and whats around the corner off set a few miles per gallon. but I still like the science of lift over drag, induced drag and parasitic drag. Throw another log on the fire.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 5:10pm
I had a feeling when I first went into the R-pod that mpg would be a problem (if it really is a problem).  As I was looking in 2007-2009 for the right camper there was not much out in the size and features the r-pod has. I'm ok with what I get on the mpg.  I have switched around TV's several times due to life getting in the way (Car accidents, Car Breakdowns and trade-ins)  I pulled mine with a Jeep Liberty, Ford Ranger, Chevy Trail Blazer, and now a Dodge Ram 1500 and they all got about the same mpg just depended how much power i had to go with it.
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 3:01pm
When we first started towing a camper I had one of those vinyl roll-up bed covers on the Tacoma. That helped a little when I was just operating the truck   ...but it left a huge gap between the cab of the truck and the forward edge of the camper roof. By adding a hard cap/topper I believe I did away with a lot of the wind turbulence that was eating up my fuel economy.

Of course now I'm pulling an R-pod, which has greater height so I will probably regain some of the resistance I lost.

Time will tell   ...

MJ
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger
g4royce View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 2:56pm
Sad how the distinctive shape of the pod contributes to reduced mileage.  Still the pod has everything we want in a lightweight package.  There really wasn't anything else in this weight category when we bought ours.  Sometimes we think that we would want a square roof when we're inside and dealing with the top bunk, but once outside we love the curved shape. 

We average 12mpg but have on occasion seen 13 mpg. Not sure how we did that.  We do travel dry and have a 152 which is the lightest model.  Does the length of the pod affect mileage?

-T 
ChaiPod
2009 RP152
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
Tidalwave4455 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 11:06am
The final aerodynamic simulations I ran were putting spoilers on the TV.  I placed a rooftop spoiler midway on the TV and then at the rear...I also changed the angle of attack.  There was only minor variations in turbulence.  Again the deciding factor was the open gap between the TV and the Pod roof.  There really is no way to smooth the airflow between the TV and the Pod because of the curved frontal roof of the Pod. That long gap really causes a lot of turbulence and pressure fluctuations.
It seems that you can gain 2+ mpg if your trailer has a rectangular 'breadbox' shape.  The roofline
helps eliminate that open turbulent gap always present in the Pod.
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 9:19am
We're towing with a 2011 Toyota Tacoma 4dr, short bed with a Leer hard cap on the back. Used to have another brand of teardrop and averaged 16-18 mpg. Bought our 177 R-pod at the end of last October so don't have updated mileage info - - but now I'm curious !

MJ
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 8:16pm
I had the same problem on my 03 Trailblazer, they corrected the problem in later models and it is no longer an issue, I really like my 08 Trailblazer, my 03 was totaled by an Idiot running a red light and hitting me in the left front wheel dead center, I had small cuts, abrasions and light case of concussion, If she would have got me 3 feet further back I may have been killed, Thank God for 4200 lbs of american steel. I think we will have to live with less than desireable fuel economy, Come on Tail Wind
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
lift kit
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 3:59pm
On our 2006 Trailblazer when we had it gave about 12 mpg  I did play with kayaks on the roof and found some improvement putting them in a V shape running to the same state park.  We no longer have thew Trailblazer as it kept destoring the fan clutch and we could not trust it anymore.  Other than that we do miss that one.
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 7:56pm
We have only pulled ours twice since we bought late in 2011. My 08 Trailblazer with 4.2 L6 did 11.5 the first pull and then I lowered my tow speed to 50 to 60, I then got 13.5 I was slightly disappointed. It is really Hilly in southern Indiana. I have seen over the road tractors with a sharp angled spoiler on the tractor, I assume this kicks the air up and over the trailer behind. I would like to see wind tunnels results of the Pod. Like an earlier post I bet if you put air pressure sensors in various areas between the TV and the pod you would see vacuum/turbulance between. double the velocity and you quadruple the drag. I guess we could reduce our tow speed to 40 or 45, but I guess we would have to get used to multiple middle finger gestures. Donna and I have been talking about finding old lazy 2 lanes roads to go down where the speeds are lower and the scenery is better, there has to be a balance somewhere between mpg and getting there.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
lift kit
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 21>