Topic ClosedGenerator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
wagnert View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Generator
    Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 10:48pm
I have a Honda 2000. Have had it for several years and it has gotten us through some long home power outages (6 days, 5 days, etc.).
It's a great unit.
During one of the 6 day outages here in western WA state, (trees often fall on  power lines) my friend bought a generator for much less money. Problem is he had to go for gasoline every day. At first no gas stations had power. My little rascal runs 10-12 hours on a one gallon fill. His used 5-7 gal/day.
Other factors:
The power is "clean." No concern of it surging and blowing electronics. No spikes.
It automatically adjusts to power needs, slows when full generation is not needed.
It is very quiet. Decibel chart compares it to the volume of normal speech.
It is small, about the size of two briefcases side to side.
Excellent unit! Very happy with it.

Tom Wagner
R-Pod 177
2003 Toyota Sienna
Tom Wagner
2012 R-Pod 177
2003 Toyota Sienna
ka9nyn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 9:46pm
Not so for all non-inverter gensets. My Generac 5500 senses load and when no load, idles down. Rolls back up to full speed when reloaded.

Also, remember surge  capability of the genset plays a role, as starting current for AC motors is many times running current, although for a very short time.

My 2 cents.
Dave & Rose
RP177 "ECM-Pod"
'08 Dodge RAM quad cab 5.7L 4WD "Rhino (re: F-4 Phantom)"
Chamberlain, SD (Formerly: Rockford, IL)
2010 RP 177
elko.mike View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 8:10pm
http://www.consumersearch.com/portable-generators/yamaha-ef2000is another set of reviews for what it is worth.

Mike, Linda & Doxies
2013 Hood River Edition r-pod 171
Tow Vehicles: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 (Linda's) and a 2003 Dodge Dakota (Mike's fishing truck)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 8:04pm
Thanks Outbound!  I was thinking of a few of your previous posts while waiting of Dixie.  What is the approx. cost of the Yamaha?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 7:57pm
Sorry, Dixie needed to go outside.  So.....

To answer the original question, it's hard to argue the quality of Honda.  However, the Champion seems to be a good "value"....if they have something in the 2500watt or better range, it could run the AC without the capacitor mod and possible cost less than the others. (?).

As with everything I post......IMHO.  Smile
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 7:52pm
The Yamaha EF2400iSHC is the one you want.  It'll run your A/C or microwave without problem, its relatively small & light, its quiet, and its dead reliable.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 7:17pm
If you are interested, in the June issue of QST (ARRL Ham Radio magazine), their test engineer compared 4 - 2000watt generators:
Champion 73536i
Generac iX2000i
Honda EU2000i
Yamaha EF 2000is

I can't reprint/publish the article without their permission and it is not available on their web site unless you are an ARRL member.  While they looked at a lot of parameters; load test, fuel economy, waveform, no load to full load test, etc. I can give you my "take" on what the article revealed that might be of interests to campers (in contrast to radio geeks).

In short, the Generac performed the worst of the bunch in just about every way.  Suggested retail $589

The Yamaha and Champion, I would say, tied for second place.  The main difference was - when a 2000watt load was placed on each, the Champion shut down in one minute, the Yamaha shut down in 20 seconds.  Sound levels were about identical.  Champion - $599, Yamaha - $990

The Honda won out overall.  The sounds levels were about the same as the above two.  The big difference was the Honda, when placed under a 2000watt load was still running after 30 minutes and showed no signs of overheating or other complaints.  It's no load to full load response time was the best.  Output voltage was a bit high @ 127vac with a 100watt load.  Price - $899

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 6:55pm
All true, which is why my home generator uses propane. Also hooked up my grill to the same tank, no more filling up small tanks and running out half way through a steak!

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 6:27pm
   I looked at the Yamaha generators that have the tri-fuel set up, they run on gas, propane and natural gas. If I was to go the route of adding a genset I think that it would be worth the time and money to put a quick connect on the line from the propane tank and run it to the genset, I am not big on carrying a gas can on the trip.
  There are a lot of up-sides to the propane generators, the carbs will not foul on propane and a tank of propane will not go bad over time. They cost about the same as a Honda and claim to be as quiet.   Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 4:07pm
Well after reading "hard start" on Google.  I purchased a larger starting capacitor for the A/C.  Called Dometic for some help but they were worthless.  In any event, will add it next week and see if it works.  Have to take the A/C shroud on the roof off to access the replaceable part.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>