R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBlack tank flushing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black tank flushing?
    Posted: 23 Jun 2014 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by cody91

If my black tank is not full, I like to close my black tank drain and let it fill to about 3/4 before opening the valve. That seems to clear out the tank a little better.

Always a good idea, to ensure the solids are flushed out.  Otherwise they will collect over time just inside the tank at the flush pipe, dry out, and then you have a really crappy problem.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2014 at 12:18pm
     We went to Camping World this morning and they are replacing the check valve. We experienced the same thing that Cary described when hooking up the hose to the Black Tank Flush. Cary it's sounds like perhaps you may have the same problem a defective check valve.  David
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

cody91 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2014 at 10:03am
Originally posted by ToddLat

Our pod have no valve. Hook up the water hose to the street side connector and flush away. I here water spraying really good in the black tank. Just make sure the black tank drain is open. 

If my black tank is not full, I like to close my black tank drain and let it fill to about 3/4 before opening the valve. That seems to clear out the tank a little better.
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2014 at 9:51am
I'll add my vote for a reversed or defective check valve. With the water supply hooked up and on you should easily be able to hear water spraying in the black tank. If the Pod is  brand new the black tank has never been used you're probably suffering from Friday Afternoon Assembly Syndrome. 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2014 at 8:23am
Originally posted by Cap-n-Cray

Moose, not sure I follow you. While it would make since for there to be a check valve. Why would it be behind the bathroom sink?

The Black tank flush is a fairly new feature I think.

I think the nozzle inside the tank maybe a check valve too. I wonder if mine is clogged. I did not see any other fittings. The water line seems to run from the side of the trailer to the black water tank.

The water line runs from the outside wall in to the floor under the kitchen slide out. The hose is spray painted black at the outside water fitting, probable indicating sewer. The hose then disappears in to the floor with other hoses. Under the trailer a hose exits close to the spot on the floor above. It connects to pipes that 90 degree to the end of the black water and in to a fitting screwed on to the tank.

I guess I should call Forest River.

The black tank flushes have been on Pods since the end of 2010 production runs.  The 18xg models were the first to launch with them.

I'm saying it should be behind or accessible from you bathroom sink because the black tank flushes are usually directly opposite the walls of the bathrooms on Pods and that is where the access point is in the bathroom plumbing to be able to service it.  And because since your toilet is in the bathroom that is the shortest route to your black tank so that is where the black system is contained.

It really should be a reversed check valve, they are very often installed backwards.  We have folks pulling their sinks and reversing them fairly often.  The one right behind the connection is the only check valve in your black tank system.  Some sort of weird clog might very well be possible too, but I'd place a bet on the valve.

Picture below is your check valve and that is surrounded by the plumbing for your sink.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2014 at 5:46am
   We were planning on stopping at Camping World this morning to check on our Vibe, we will ask about our Black Tank Flush to understand it better. I will post later today what information I found out.
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Cap-n-Cray View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2014 at 12:45am
Moose, not sure I follow you. While it would make since for there to be a check valve. Why would it be behind the bathroom sink?

The Black tank flush is a fairly new feature I think.

I think the nozzle inside the tank maybe a check valve too. I wonder if mine is clogged. I did not see any other fittings. The water line seems to run from the side of the trailer to the black water tank.

The water line runs from the outside wall in to the floor under the kitchen slide out. The hose is spray painted black at the outside water fitting, probable indicating sewer. The hose then disappears in to the floor with other hoses. Under the trailer a hose exits close to the spot on the floor above. It connects to pipes that 90 degree to the end of the black water and in to a fitting screwed on to the tank.

I guess I should call Forest River.
Cary
2014 RP-177
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2014 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by Cap-n-Cray

How does the black water tank flush work? I have hooked up a hose to the exterior connection and turn the water on slowly but nothing comes out the black water drain. It does seem to build up pressure in the hose. I don't hear anything in the tank and the tank is open. This is new from the factory.

I did trace a water line that is connected to the black water tank. It seems to go to the side connector through a bunch of foam sealant. Is there a valve somewhere?

Any ideas?

If not water is entering your tank then the check valve behind your bathroom sink was likely installed backwards.  Happens more often than you'd think.
ToddLat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2014 at 8:34pm
Our pod have no valve. Hook up the water hose to the street side connector and flush away. I here water spraying really good in the black tank. Just make sure the black tank drain is open. 

Todd and Beth
2013 RP 176 T
2013 Nissan Pathfinder

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2014 at 8:33pm
   Our Vibe had the same problem it's at Camping World being repaired under warranty. I thought the service man said something about a valve needed to be replaced and they were waiting on the part to arrive. It too came from the factory not working.
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>