R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFridge and Battery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
dboyer View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fridge and Battery
    Posted: 23 May 2017 at 6:38pm
Thanks for taking you the time to respond! I will have my battery tested and hope that alleviates the problem. 
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by dboyer

Indicator lights on our 177 Domestic refrigerator will switch to gas or battery power but both shut off after 2-3 minutes. In fact the entire indicator panel shuts off except if the refrigerator is on electric power.

That's not normal and points to a 12V problem, maybe the battery. If a power source isn't working, the normal response is for the warning light to come on and the fridge to beep. The converter is apparently working or else you'd have the same issue on electric.
dboyer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 12:14pm
Indicator lights on our 177 Domestic refrigerator will switch to gas or battery power but both shut off after 2-3 minutes. In fact the entire indicator panel shuts off except if the refrigerator is on electric power.
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 7:35pm
Yes, the O detector does grab a fair amount of juice from the battery and as yakinator stated, it will drain your battery to nothing in a matter of a couple weeks.  The muffin fans on the back of the fridge don't draw very much and only run when it is quite hot out and or your fridge side is sitting where the sun is hitting it.  They only run for short amount of time until the ambient temp drops.  Another way to lessen the time the muffin fans run is to remove both lower and upper access panel covers on the outside behind the fridge which will improve air flow and if you are able to, park your pod so that the fridge side doesn't face south or west.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
DawgLady View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 2:02pm
Thank you all for the help. We think it is converter after all😢 Have ordered a new one so maybe that will solve the problem. This group is fantastic!!
Dawg Lady
2016 R-180 "Lizzy"
Georgia
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by GlueGuy

I would assume that the fridge draws zero when it's turned off? You could put a meter on it to see what the phantom loads add up to. The only things that might be pulling current would be the O detector and/or the smoke detector.

The stereo and antenna booster are also possible sources of current drain. The booster can be easily turned off.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 12:29pm
I would assume that the fridge draws zero when it's turned off? You could put a meter on it to see what the phantom loads add up to. The only things that might be pulling current would be the O detector and/or the smoke detector.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 11:03am
Regardless of the power source selected, the cooling fans for the fridge's heat exchanger run on 12V.
sailor323 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 9:14pm
If you are on shore power, there is no reason for the battery to drain unless the converter is defective.  Trouble shooting is where I would go
yakinator View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 2:54pm
I know that the propane detector also draws 12v. Before I started disconnecting the battery, the Phantom draw would drain my battery within 2 weeks with fridge turned off. If you are on shore power I can't see how your battery could be drained except if the converter is bad. My converter failed after 4 months.
2017 RPOD 180 named VentuRpod
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>