R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNeed battery advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
jato View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need battery advice
    Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 7:22pm
We have 2 group size 24  12v deep cycle batteries that we got when we picked up our 177 back in March 2011.  We still expect to get a minimum of 3 days/nights out of each battery when we camp in the spring/fall when night temps hit the upper 30's to upper 40's.  At those temps the furnace goes on a fair amount at night, during the day we turn furnace off as we will normally be hiking.  Fridge is on propane and we changed all our lights inside to L.E.D.'s; probably standard equipment on your pod.  Like SD Trailer above posted, we easily can get 5 days out of a single battery during the warmer days of summer.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
SDTrialer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 6:31pm
Can you charge using your TV?  I can last with the basics for 5 days.  Heat, lights, fridge on propane with one 12v battery. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 2:30pm

My last battery purchase (April 2016) was 2 - group 24 (12vdc) Duracell from "Batteries + Bulbs". They were on sale for about $70ea., if memory serves. That said, I've had good luck with the group 24 Walmart batteries, also.

If I were in your situation.....
I would buy a new 12vdc group 24 and KEEP the old battery, for now. You will likely pay a "core charge" of about $10, by not returning the old battery. When you get home from your trip, THEN return the old battery and get the $10 "core charge" refunded. This will give you a spare/backup battery, if you need it (at no cost).

Good luck & safe travels!
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 11:39am
As furpod mentioned, switch your fridge to propane. That will save a lot. Consider recharging the battery with your TV. Might also be worth considering a 2-battery setup (2 X 6V or 2X 12V).
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 11:02am
Some folks have recharged their camper battery using their tow vehicle an a set of jumper cables
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 10:10am
We did 3 days/nights boondocking on a single group 24several times. Fridge on gas, didn't need to run the heater, we don't have CPAP needs, etc..
tsherv View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 9:43am
I have a 2014 rpod 179. This Summer we will be traveling to Yellowstone NP and Grand Tetons for almost 3 weeks. We are planning on running off of battery, and using a generator / inverter to recharge the battery.

The problem I have is that for 3 nights we are going to be staying in the Lamar Valley, and generators are not allowed. During that time I won't have a way to recharge my battery.

Currently I have the original Interstate battery. It needs to be replaced before I go. I've read a lot of posts with a lot of different battery options. My main concern is getting a battery that will cover those 3 nights without a generator. I don't want to spend a lot because 99% of our camping in general we have electricity.

I would imagine that our usage is going to be pretty minimal. We are going to be away from the camper during the day. At night we will use some lights and possibly a bit of furnace (depending on the temps).

Looking for some advice on what type of battery to get!

Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply