R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRunning the microwave off of a generator

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Running the microwave off of a generator
    Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 11:35am
Thanks GlueGuy,

I didn't get that detailed into the effort. What I know is my 2K genset will not run my AC with the DC charge circuit energized. It will operate AC with battery disconnected (via switch) or converter CB off. It will operate microwave with both battery connected and converter CB on, that is all I need to know. It will not operate AC and microwave, BTW.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 10:55am
Originally posted by mcarter

tsherv,

YES - easy to disable charge circuit.

I have had all spring to test combos with my 2K Generac, watts is not issue, amps are. Your normal 110 AC source, not on 30 A circuit is 20 amps. Your AC runs at about 14 with a surge to 16 when it comes on. Your AC charge circuit can pull 5-6 amps because it doesn't care if battery is fully charged or not. Your microwave will run on a 2K providing it does not have issues that SH said. Your AC will not normally, but might with a Honda at an added expense. Two ways to disable the charging circuit, if you have a battery disconnect shut the battery off, the converter will furnish 12V from AC line. If not shut the Converter CB off the 12 volts will come from battery, choices, right? It works.
Watts and amps are proportional if the voltage is constant. So your 14-16 amps is roughly equivalent to 1540-1760 watts at 110 volts.

The amps/watts on the charger should be directly proportional to the amps required by the batteries. When the batteries are very low, the bulk charge rate will be limited by the maximum output of the charger. As the batteries charge up, the load will go down. A 15 amp charge rate at 12 volts, will be roughly 1/10 of that on the 110 VAC side (or about 1-1/2 amps). I doubt seriously whether the charger ever goes above a 15 amp (on the DC side) charge rate.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2017 at 3:58pm
tsherv,

YES - easy to disable charge circuit.

I have had all spring to test combos with my 2K Generac, watts is not issue, amps are. Your normal 110 AC source, not on 30 A circuit is 20 amps. Your AC runs at about 14 with a surge to 16 when it comes on. Your AC charge circuit can pull 5-6 amps because it doesn't care if battery is fully charged or not. Your microwave will run on a 2K providing it does not have issues that SH said. Your AC will not normally, but might with a Honda at an added expense. Two ways to disable the charging circuit, if you have a battery disconnect shut the battery off, the converter will furnish 12V from AC line. If not shut the Converter CB off the 12 volts will come from battery, choices, right? It works.
Mike Carter
2015 178
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2017 at 2:27pm
The first microwave we had that came with our R-Pod would not run onthe generator. When that had a problem and was replaced (under warranty), the second one would run just fine on the generator. The best thing that can be said is to try it and see.

The symptoms were:
Microwave plugged in and generator running (it didn't matter if the microwave was plugged into its socket in the cabinet or directly via an extension cord): Microwave would start and within a second, reset. Convection side worked just fine. The start-up surge with the magnetron was too great for the generator to carry. The replacement convection/microwave did not have these issues.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2017 at 1:21pm
I've not found any specs on it, but I'm guessing that the microwave is around 1000 watts. Running the AC has got to be in the neighborhood of 1500 watts. The power required by the battery controller is going to be based (probably) on the charge rate, and (probably) won't be over 200 watts.

Those are all SWAGs.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
tsherv View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2017 at 1:01pm
I'm curious...How do you disable the 12 volt charging circuit?  Is this easy to do?
tsherv View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2017 at 1:00pm
Thanks for the reply.  We are going to be camping in cool temperatures...That's why the AC isn't important.  I'm buying the generator for charging the battery and for the microwave.

henryv View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2017 at 9:32am
Why would running the microwave be more important than running the AC? I recommend buying the Honda generator and it's companion. Each $1000, but worth it I think since they run everything and you get top Honda quality, with fuel efficiency and quiet..nobody complains..
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2017 at 9:30am
Yes, I have a 2KW, it will run microwave. It will run AC if you disable 12 volt charging circuit, but it will not run both together.
Mike Carter
2015 178
tsherv View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2017 at 9:17am
Hi,

I have a 2014 Rpod 179.  I'm wondering if I can run the microwave / convection oven off of a 2,000 watt generator?  I'm thinking of buying the Champion 2,000 Watt generator / invertor.  I realize it probably won't run the AC, but what about the microwave (if there isn't a lot of other load)?  

Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply