R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedStorage found. 180 Elec panel move & drawer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
jimandclare View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Storage found. 180 Elec panel move & drawer
    Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 8:24am
Nice job moving the radio john.  Just finished similar mod on our 178.  Surprised how much extra space I found moving the rats nest of wires.
Jim & Clare
2016 R-pod 178
2014 Ford Edge
Dirt Road Warrior View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 6:45pm
Thanks, Voisj, for the info. BTW, I have a 179 so the floor will have a different framework. I'll take your advice, however, and look underneath to see what I might cut into and consider two surface-mount brackets.
Dirt Road Warrior
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited or
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2017 Rpod 179 Hood River
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 6:42pm
Hutch,
Ya, this one seems like a no brainer once done, so simple and cheap. The cleats that the table top sits on when lowered are still there and I added a few screws to it for strength , we really never use it as a bed and don't foresee needing the short post, but the short post was only $6 so i bought it.
 I cut 7/8" off the wall side of the cleat to slide the table in against the wall for storage. It's nice having it out of the way when it's not needed. Also I centered the post 1/2' towards the wall with felt bumpers on the edge of the table so it pushes against the wall a little making it so it doesn't wobble hardly at all, with out this it would wiggle a bit. And the felt bumpers against the floor means it doesn't sit directly on the floor.
rgds John       All my 180 mods

Did this one while i had the tools out. (wife saw it on the rpod facebook site) Moved the radio up into the empty space above and made the lower space a small cabinet, all the wires come down from the ceiling so the upper part couldn't be captured as a cab space.Still need to make a door.  (every cu in counts!:)

SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

Hutch View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 4:43pm
Now I can't wait to get rid of that table! Thanks for the pedestal mod. Seems like it should have been obvious, but couldn't think of how to solve it. Did you look at putting a rail on the fronts of the seats to eliminate the short post need when converting to a bed? I'm hoping a cleat around the space might work.
Thanks SLO-Pod.
2017 Rpod 180, gen green
2016 Toyota Tacoma
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 8:30pm
DRW,
I got it at my local RV dealer. The 31" pole was $12 and the base and table bracket were $6 each. I used the flush mount bracket on the floor, be aware If your doing it on the 180 if you center it perfectly in the space you will remove 1/3 of the aluminum floor joist that is there. I should have used a surface mount bracket, If you drill towards the back 1.25" you will miss the joist. 
rgds John
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA

Dirt Road Warrior View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 7:18pm
I'm impressed with the pedestal mount, voisj. What a great idea! Where did you get the pedestal?
Dirt Road Warrior
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited or
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2017 Rpod 179 Hood River
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 7:08am
Monitor the temps in there.. as I remember the WFCO install manual gives a minimum cuft area requirement for heat dissipation of the converter.
moseyman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 7:01am
Man! Have u given me ideas for my 180!
Thanx.
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 12:22am
After looking for more storage options in the 180 I decided to move the electrical panel and add a drawer.
Here's the rats nest under the seat. And what I did with it. The drawer is 14" x 20"
 I moved the Electrical panel to face toward the entry hall, and cleaned up the wiring. I didn't cut, disconnect or shorten any of the wires, I just cut a new hole and swung the box over, grouped the wires and remounted the ground bar & 12v Fuse? Then I took the drawer out of the other dinette seat and re-installed it in the space that I gained with the move. Next I'm making a new drawer for the other side that will be 20" x 22". Like a true electrician I did it hot.  

This all started when I removed the knee knocking, toe stubbing, awkward table base to install a pedestal mount and got really annoyed at the wasted space under the seats. The small drawer under the front dinette seat fit perfect in the new space, And with new larger drawer in the front dinette seat the missus will have a useful pot drawer!  (180 challenges)
 I made slots in the seat trim that supports the table when in the down position, to store the table when not in use, and have a short post for when we need the bed option. Note; use a stud finder from the bottom side to locate aluminum floor joists if your drilling for the flush mount base.

SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA

Post Reply Post Reply