R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedwater heater bypass valve location

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
jato View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: water heater bypass valve location
    Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 7:06pm
Locate the panel on the side of your pod (probably driver side) that opens to your hot water tank.  From there you should be able to locate the access panel to gain entry to your valves.  I know on my 177 the access panel was located in the thru storage at the back end of the pod.  To gain entry you almost need to be a contortionist, pretty difficult.  So what I did was take the mattress out and take off the luan panel under the mattress.  I then measured an opening just above the 3 valves, for myself it was 5" by 7".  Plenty of room to get my hand on the valves to winterize/dewinterize.  I then cut a larger piece of luan 6" x 8", took a short 3/8" screw and placed it over the opening for later access.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
PodWa View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 7:01pm
Look under the bed.  The water heater is on the driver's side of the pod under the forward-most plywood panel.  You will have to remove two screws to lift the panel.  The valves are on the inboard side of the water heater.  Mine has two valves...most have three.  Make sure the valve between the cold inlet and hot outlet is closed for summer use.  Open the valves in the cold and hot lines.  If you have two valves, the one on the bottom is a two or three-way valve.  Turn it perpendicular to the bypass line and open the second valve.  I hope I expained that well, but it will probably be obvious when you see the valves.Tongue
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 7:00pm
I don't know about the 179 specifically, but the valves are on the inside side of the water heater.  You get to them by taking off a kick panel or whatever covers the water heater on the top. The water heater is right inside the outside access to the water heater.  (Not everyone figures that out on their own.)  Open the 2 parallel valves (in line with the pipes) and close the middle valve.  Fill the water heater before turning it on!

Search Google Images for "rv water heater bypass valve diagram" for pics.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
spentwings View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 6:43pm
I have a 2016 R179 and am dewinterizing for the first time.  I cannot find anything in the manuals and have called two dealerships trying to locate the water
bypasses and shutoff valves.  No luck!   Anyone have a photo or some good ideas where to look?  Thanks!
Good decisions come from experience. Experience, well.... that comes from bad decisions.
 Post Reply Post Reply