R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedElectrical taillight problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electrical taillight problem
    Posted: 12 Jul 2017 at 10:40am
Originally posted by rawest50

I ordered the DC 4. I am a little confused. If it is non-conductive will it not interfere with the 7 point connection of the vehicle to R Pod connection? Coat the connectors? It looks like a great product since it is used in the aircraft industry.
It can seem contradictory. How can a non-conductive gel make a connector work better? It's because DC4 (and other dielectric grease type products) mainly keep the water out, but don't interfere with the actual connection. I used it in all the electrical connections inside the engine cowling on our airplane. The engine cowling gets literally drenched in water whenever flying in the rain, and keeping the electrical stuff working is kind of important in an airplane.

You do want to keep a dust cover over these connections too. Because although a dielectric grease will keep out the water, it will also tend to attract dust. That said, the actual electrical contacts will remain pristine.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
rawest50 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2017 at 10:19am
Originally posted by GlueGuy

I checked my 7 point connection on my trailer. Wow. It was wet and copper corrosion was present. Had a cover cap on on it but I noticed the groove was not aligned with the connector. Left a gap for water to enter. With the rain we had it probably funneled water into the connection. He is my question. Pod connected to house power and battery at full charge, what you mentioned could cause my tail light to glow?
Possibly. Both the 12V "power", as well as tail light connectors are in there. If there is a bridge of some kind between them, then just plain power could light the lights.
See if you can clean it out, then squirt in some DC4 or similar dielectric goo. The DC4 is hydro-phobic, and is used in a lot of applications where you don't water to get in. It's also non-conductive.

I ordered the DC 4. I am a little confused. If it is non-conductive will it not interfere with the 7 point connection of the vehicle to R Pod connection? Coat the connectors? It looks like a great product since it is used in the aircraft industry.
2017.5 RPod 179
2017 Jeep Unlimited Wrangler
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Off Road Crew Cab
2 Weiner dogs
Great wife puts up with my BS
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 7:49pm

I checked my 7 point connection on my trailer. Wow. It was wet and copper corrosion was present. Had a cover cap on on it but I noticed the groove was not aligned with the connector. Left a gap for water to enter. With the rain we had it probably funneled water into the connection. He is my question. Pod connected to house power and battery at full charge, what you mentioned could cause my tail light to glow?
Possibly. Both the 12V "power", as well as tail light connectors are in there. If there is a bridge of some kind between them, then just plain power could light the lights.

See if you can clean it out, then squirt in some DC4 or similar dielectric goo. The DC4 is hydro-phobic, and is used in a lot of applications where you don't water to get in. It's also non-conductive.
bp
rawest50 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by furpod

One thing to check.. look at the 7 way, make sure it is clean and dry, they get wet, can short a bit.. cause issues. The running light circuit is right next to the 12v hot..

2017.5 RPod 179
2 Weiner dogs
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2017 at 4:52pm
One thing to check.. look at the 7 way, make sure it is clean and dry, they get wet, can short a bit.. cause issues. The running light circuit is right next to the 12v hot..
rawest50 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2017 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by StephenH

Wire going to light has a nick in the insulation where it crosses another 12V line that has power being supplied by the converter? Polarity problem? I take it this does not happen when the battery/batteries are supplying power but only when the R-Pod is plugged in and presumably, the converter is supplying 12V power?Edit:What is more worrying is if there is a piece of 120V wiring that is leaking current to the frame. This is going to be something you will want to get checked out. Please make an appointment with your dealer to get this checked.

I called my dealer. Weeks before they can look at it. We have a week long trip next weeks and have already spent a lot of money for sites and events in the area. Anything I can do? How big a problem is it? I am not electrically inclined so I am clueless.
2017.5 RPod 179
2 Weiner dogs
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 12:58pm
A DVM is your friend. I would check the voltage going to your taillight to see what kind of voltage is getting there (e.g. 12VDC or something else). Troubleshoot from there.
bp
rawest50 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 12:51pm
Is there anyway I can check this?
2017.5 RPod 179
2 Weiner dogs
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
rawest50 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 8:53am
Thanks.
2017.5 RPod 179
2 Weiner dogs
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 9:18pm
Wire going to light has a nick in the insulation where it crosses another 12V line that has power being supplied by the converter? Polarity problem? I take it this does not happen when the battery/batteries are supplying power but only when the R-Pod is plugged in and presumably, the converter is supplying 12V power?

Edit:
What is more worrying is if there is a piece of 120V wiring that is leaking current to the frame. This is going to be something you will want to get checked out. Please make an appointment with your dealer to get this checked.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>