R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAM radio doesn't work

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
wthoms2000 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: AM radio doesn't work
    Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 12:33am
Yeah, AM really sucks. Bought a cheap car antenna and plugged it to the radio and tossed it behind the radio. Otherwise big static when connected to the coax board...
spydie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 3:21pm
OK, got the AM radio fixed.  I took the Jensen out of the wall and discovered the antenna connection is too tall to fit in the opening, so instead of using an antenna wire with a 90 degree end on it, they just force it into the opening which I think broke a connection or PC board inside the radio (the connection comes and goes as you wiggle the antenna wire).  That's going to require a new unit to fix.  So I installed one of the loop antennas like you get with home stereo receiver (by the way, the FM antenna must be built in because the TV antenna does not connect to the radio.) . I have no idea where the antenna cable goes after it leaves the radio.  It drops down into the wall and may be just a coax wire they left hanging for an antenna, but it's a standard TV cable and it's connected to the antenna wire with a double-male connector on the TV cable and the Antenna wire.  I disconnected it at that joint and soldered a new female TV cable end to the wires from the antenna loop, and now the signal comes in really well, even with the bad connection in the radio.  Not sure I remember how to post photobucket pictures here, but I'll give it a try.

2018 R-pod 176
2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by CharlieM

Are you saying the new Pods are coming with rotatable TV antennas? If so, that's great news. The older Pods came with an omnidirectional antenna that was horrible. The good news for omnidirectionals is their performance is equal in all directions. The bad news for omnidirectionals is their performance is equally bad in all directions. 

Yes, they come with King Jack antennas now. Unfortunately, FR still cheaped out and used the model without the signal strength meter.
spydie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 11:39am
Yes, it has a non-foldable bi-directional rotatable antenna.  It seems to work pretty good and you can fine-tune it by turning it.  It's has pretty good aerodynamics so you don't actually have to face it any certain direction for going down the road, but it does have a "mark" for the "forward" position in the turning dial.
2018 R-pod 176
2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 11:32am
Are you saying the new Pods are coming with rotatable TV antennas? If so, that's great news. The older Pods came with an omnidirectional antenna that was horrible. The good news for omnidirectionals is their performance is equal in all directions. The bad news for omnidirectionals is their performance is equally bad in all directions. 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
spydie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 11:04am
Yes, I believe you're right about the FM antenna.  I did try turning the TV antenna and it did seem to change the signal but only for the FM.  However, I didn't get any accessory loop antenna with my R-pod (did anyone else get one?), so I'm going to have figure out how to release it from the wall and look behind it.  I'm sure I have some old loop antennas laying around here somewhere that I can drop in behind it.  Shouldn't make any difference if it's in the wall our outside of it.
2018 R-pod 176
2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 10:44am
The AM radio requires an external antenna. Usually there is a loop antenna included as an accessory you have to hook up and hang somewhere. This can be inside the trailer since the walls and roof are Fiberglass. The FM antenna is sometimes fed from the TV antenna through the booster. Try turning on the TV booster and see if it makes any difference.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 9:18am
Sure sounds like it could be an antenna issue. You're probably going to have to pull the unit out to check.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
spydie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 8:50am
I just bought a 2018 R-pod 176 and was messing around with the built-in Jensen radio.  The AM radio doesn't seem to work.  We have several local AM stations (within 5 miles of me) but I can't get a sound when tuned into their frequencies.  FM is weak, but I can tune in some stations.  Anybody else notice the AM not working properly?  Maybe they forgot to hook up an antenna to it?  Not sure how to get at the back of it to check for an antenna.
2018 R-pod 176
2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi
 Post Reply Post Reply