R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedConverter Failure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Converter Failure
    Posted: 28 Aug 2017 at 9:23am
Originally posted by CharlieM

Originally posted by ChetC

As an update; I've been trouble free ever since this post, which was roughly 25,000 miles ago.

Considering the history and reputation on WFCO convertors I suspect you success is primarily due to the change to PD. Good units.

While I certainly wouldn't argue that WFCO had a bad run last year, and R=Pods seem to have gotten a large chunk of that run.. The WFCO is mounted in hundreds of thousands of campers out there.. MOST owners never have a problem. R-pod or otherwise.
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2017 at 8:37am
Originally posted by ChetC

As an update; I've been trouble free ever since this post, which was roughly 25,000 miles ago.

Considering the history and reputation on WFCO convertors I suspect you success is primarily due to the change to PD. Good units.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
ChetC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2017 at 9:54pm
It's been a while since I've been on here and I just saw this post.  I too had issues with the converter in my 180 and I had a theory which i posted about here:

http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8847&KW=converter&title=theory-on-failed-power-converters-possible-fix

Former 2017 rPod 180 owner
Now in a 2019 Little Guy MAX
Full timer who logs more than 35,000 miles per year.
crazycoyote View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 10:14pm
I had the same problem on my "new" RP 180 this summer in June. My wife turned on the convection oven for the first time we had bought it. Was in a campground with a full hookup. Battery charging, everything working ,but as soon she started the oven I heard a big power snap and checked out the power panel, and the converter breaker was off, SO I turned it back on , checked the 12 volt, shot, no charge to the batteries. Left the breaker off the rest of the summer trip, till I got home (solar) kept me charged. Bought a 55 amp after market converter ,installed it. Problem Solved. 
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 8:02pm
Looks like we had a converter failure as well on our "new" pod.  Was on a trip and battery dropped to one light while connected to ac power.  Ran out to Sears and bought a multimeter and battery charger.  Battery was at 11.5 volt.  Called dealer and asked if we could charge battery while connected.  He said yes.  We did not want to disconnect battery as that would have turned off refrigerator (even on shore power or propane it needs 12v to run).  Plugged in charger and got 13.5 reading.  Had all five lights while charging and next morning disconnected charger and battery read 12.8v.  So we were all set.  Two days later it went back down to 2 lights so we again charged the battery.  We did this throughout the trip and it saved us from having to cancel and return home.  Will have to bring it back to dealer at some point (they are 100 miles away).  Does anyone know if the emergency road side assistance that is included the first year would come and replace a converter?
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 8:33am
A power surge that we might not notice might push a marginal converter over the edge. I don't know if that is what happened with ours. I don't know why it failed, just that it did during our trip. If it had happened at home, I would have been able to get the replacement done and not have had to purchase one. I will have a spare once WFCO replaces the one that went bad.

Update 8/7/2017:
WFCO did replace the defective converter. I now have a spare. I'm debating whether to keep it as a spare or to sell it and recoup at least part of the cost of what I spent to fix this problem.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 7:02am
Originally posted by Danielw1

Off subject a little but, as simple as the converter is i would expect to get many trouble free years out of it

WFCO seems to have had a bad run of them. Can happen. Most run forever. The one in our Airstream is almost 40 years old, works fine.
Danielw1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 11:04pm
Off subject a little but, as simple as the converter is i would expect to get many trouble free years out of it
NoDak View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 10:22pm
That's a GREAT answer, StephenH! Thank you!
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 9:23am
If your R-Pod is still under warranty, then get with your dealer. If the warranty is expired on the R-Pod, the converter has a two-year warranty. My situation was that the Pod's warranty had expired, so I am handling this myself. If you don't feel comfortable doing so, then get with your dealer because the converter still has the warranty.

If when the battery was installed, the wires were connected reversed, even for a moment, then one or both of the 40A fuses are blown. Check the polarity of the battery connections (black or red to positive, white to negative). Then pull the 40A fuses and check visibly (you should see if it is blown). If it looks like it is not blown, still check with a digital voltmeter. Set it to check Ohms and make sure it goes from 1 to 0 when you touch both legs of the fuse. If the fuses are good, then check the breaker. If you are plugged in to shore power, you should be able to get a voltage reading between the black wire that is connected to the breaker and the neutral connection (white) or ground (bare copper) connection with your voltmeter set to 200V or higher. It should read 110-120V. If you have power, check the output of the converter. Disconnect shore power, then the battery. Connect shore power. With the battery disconnected, does it supply 12V to the R-Pod? If not, then it is probable that you have a bad converter. Mine went out on our last trip.

You can contact WFCO's technical support at (574) 294-8997. You can download the Warranty, RGA, and Repair Information from www.wfcoelectronics.com. You can expedite replacement by also downloading the Credit Card Authorization form from there.
Here are the exact troubleshooting steps from WFCO's WF-8900 Series Troubleshooting Form:

WF-8900 Series Testing Procedure

Disconnect battery to isolate the converter. Is battery disconnected:____Yes/No? Plug the shore cord into 30 or 50 Aac service as required. Is shore cord plugged into 30/50 Aac:______Yes/No?

Verify 120Vac is being delivered to the converter. Measure across the output of the breaker (black wire) providing power to the converter and Neutral Terminal Bar (white wire): Voltage at the Converter:_____Vac.

Turn off the converter's breaker. Pull the reverse protection fuse(s) from the fuse board and measue the fuse continuity:_____/_____Ohms.

Turn the breaker on and measure the voltage across the +Vcc and Neg- lugs:_____Vdc.

Replace the reverse protection fuse(s). Measure across the Pos+ and Neg- lugs:_____Vdc.

Do the lights work:_____Yes/No? Explain:______________________________________

**AN RGA MUST BE ASSIGNED BEFORE RETURNING PRODUCT FOR WARRANTY**
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>