R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBlack tank flush

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
fwunder View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black tank flush
    Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 8:32pm
I don't think this a good time for promoting poo, but this is a good book!

Having lived on a umber of different small boats, the hot (fresh) water shower and easily managed holding tanks are a piece of cake and a luxury! Thirty gallons of black tank storage is a lot of poo! And pee, if you limit your beer consumption. Grey water is easy to deal with with a five gallon lidded bucket or two or a tote. In fact, for most folks, you could manage by transferring from grey to black and never worry about dumping for a week - even with showers.

I will admit, I generally like campground bathroom thrones. A bit more elbow room, they often have WiFi and no one seems to worry how long I'm there!

fred

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 7:22pm
I'm curious.  I don't want to sound critical or be indelicate; I'm perfectly fine with "to each his (or her) own", but why would you not poop in your potty?  I think there is some shyness, perhaps when moving from tent camping to trailer camping, about sometimes noisy bodily functions in a confined area, but the wife and I have found it pretty easy to take turns walking the dog to give the other some throne time, and we've gotten used to the intimacy to some extent. 

I've heard of other people who won't use the shower.  I'm guessing they could save $5000 or more on a camper without a bathroom and shower if they aren't going to use them anyway!  I consider the full, even if wet, bathroom a significant luxury!

With a little care and nitrile gloves, I don't think emptying the black tank would be much less odious without the poop, and it's essentially hermetically sealed in the black tank until emptied.

What I'm about to say is silly, and again, I'm just trying to understand the thinking -- not be critical -- but it's kind of like not wanting to poop in your bathroom at home, it seems to me.

Any enlightenment on this issue may be too much to expect.  And take this as a general question to anyone with any thoughts on the matter.  I really don't mean to single out Jill -- because I know there are others with the same self-imposed restrictions....

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
JillV View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 6:52pm
Ok thanks guys I will look around for it. If any of you get excited to take a picture for me that would be awesome but don't rip your RPod apart in the process!
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 5:00pm
Cool Stephen good to know, in the 178 it is not easily accessible, I can see it from access on bed side of bathroom panel at bottom of wall.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 10:50am
In the 179, the valve is visible in the opening that is behind the panel below the sink. It is easily accessible. Mine was put in correctly, but had started leaking when the water was shut off and the pressure dropped. I replaced it and all is well.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 8:00am
My 178 - there is a one way valve in the flush line, the backflush valve. It is between the outer fill port and the tank. Mine is in backwards and doesn't allow water to tank. To fix I would have had to remove bathroom sink as it is in shower wall. Several on the forum have had like issue. I chose to add a new backflush to the drivers side near the black tank drain. Fairly easy to do and now all my drain stuff is on same side. I'm not sure where the backflush valve is on a 179. In my case it was inaccessible without removing a major piece of TT. Plus I like my flush on drain side.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 7:58am
Originally posted by JillV

We have a 2016 179 and ...  our Black water flush isn't doing anything.

This really needs a new thread.

If you don't put 'stuff' in your black tank, why worry?

Around that time, Forest River put in some flush valves backwards. If you want to find out more, there probably is a screw-in panel on the inside wall of your trailer that allows access to the area, or make your own hole. Examine the 'L'-shaped black flush valve. It has arrows to indicate direction of flow. On ours, the arrows pointed upstream. You can just reverse the unit, altho that may kink the tubing, or spend $$ at the dealers, but if the toilet was used at all, dried 'stuff' has probably thoroughly blocked the nozzle inside the tank. This can be removed by removing the tubing at the black tank and cleaning the nozzle, putting it back and recaulking.

You may want to consider just getting one of those 'Flush Kings' and a black tank wand. I feel that this combo is much better at cleaning than the flush alone, even when it's working properly.
JillV View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 10:43pm
We have a 2016 179 and dont poop in our potty. When hooking up our black water flush and turning on the hose, nothing happens, no water goes in and certainly no water comes out the sewer hose on the other side. Someone suggested maybe we have a crimp in our line somewhere, but what else could be the problem??? I get impatient and just put the hose down the toilet to flush it out but we want to know why our Black water flush isn't doing anything. Checking with you experts before we take it to the shop.
Hawkeyes View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 5:14am
We were boondocking with tent campers in Colorado. Everyone soon began using our toilet and before you know it we had a clog. We thought driving over washboard roads on the way down would clear it, but it did not. Husband read to try Dawn and we dumped the whole bottle in.  By the time we got down to Denver and dumped everything came out fine. There did happen to be lots and lots of bubbles at the dump station. Our kids bought a camper and somebody didn't realize you could not put Wipes down the toilet. Major clog. Dawn again to the rescue. They were able to dump. Got home filled the black tank to soak and have good pressure to drain and bubbles did come out the back drain pipe. It got all the wipes out though. 
Hawkpod
2013 Surveyor Sport 189
2017 Chevy Silverado
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 7:57am
Originally posted by tsherv

Is there a chance that something is plugged or not working properly? ... I'm thinking of adding a bunch of water to the black tank and try draining it again to make sure nothing is plugged

I also have been worried that my black water flush might be incomplete and a blockage result, I am not able to always 'max out' the black water tank before flushing. This product works really well for rinsing and gives me complete peace of mind. 

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Plumbing/Flush-King/F02-4350.html?feed=npn&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyYTe57Lt1QIVELnACh3vPQLxEAQYBSABEgK3nvD_BwE

In fact, I'm looking forward now to getting my tank blocked so I can nuke it with this.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>