R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedReplacing sliding kitchen drawers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacing sliding kitchen drawers
    Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by voisj

Home depot sells full extension drawer slides... . They also sell plastic Guide brackets  

Well, I'm done.

I have a rule - Any home or trailer repair, no matter how simple, costs at least twice as much and takes at least 4 times longer than initially estimated.

This was no exception. However, thanks to such suggestions as the one above, I got it in. 

In passing, the Big Box Stores' employees were absolutely useless. If I hadn't printed out vois' information in its entirety, I probably would still be sprawled inside our trailer trying to fit things together.

Thanks to all of you.

"There comes a time in the affairs of a man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation" - W.C. Fields
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 8:17pm
Use flush mount handles.
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

ArenaBlanca View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 1:14pm
If you don't already have one, you might look for a "stubby" screwdriver that will fit the screws.  The space in there is a bit tight.  If you plan on using a power drill, you may need a right angle attachment.  Depending on which drawer was ruined, you might even be able to make the drawer longer.  On our 179 the top two drawers have plumbing behind them, but I made the bottom one longer.
Enjoy Life!!
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Happy Tripping

[QUOTE=furpod]Why replace the slides ...?]

Unfortunately, the slides were wrecked - bent and ball bearings all over the floor. The drawer's space is very narow and deep, any screws at the far end are going to be 'diffi' to put in. I'm hoping one brand is easier than some others to put in...(?), and levelling side to side sounds tricky (atleast. for me, I'm strictly amateur).

Thanks for your response.

Sorry didn't catch that the slides themselves were wrecked.. Take the drawer, and whats left of a slide with you to a big box hardware store.. they can match you up. Then, just put the new where the old was.. easy peasy.
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 10:09am
Home depot sells full extension drawer slides, I use the self closing one. They also sell plastic Guide brackets that go against (screw to) the wall in the back that are like the stock metal ones. 
1.Just measure the length of the guides and buy the same length,
2. Screw on the part that goes on the drawer,
3. Attach the plastic Guide to the rear of the drawer guide
4. Attach guide with one screw into the side of the face frame at the front of the cab (just like the old ones).
5.Install drawer in cab hole and Square it up to the face frame (by eye).
6.And screw in the plastic brackets.
In the 180 I was able to re-make the drawers 6" deeper and 1-1/2" taller and did the guides at that time I've been told the 179 drawers use up the space a little better.
Good luck! John
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

MoPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 9:42am
Unfortunately, the slides were wrecked - bent and ball bearings all over the floor. .. I'm hoping one brand is easier than some others to put in...(?), and levelling side to side sounds tricky (atleast. for me, I'm strictly amateur).
[/QUOTE]

When I put new drawers in my 2010 I just went to one of the big box retailers such as Lowes or Home Depot and found them.  In my case, I just took the drawer with me to make sure I got the right ones.  If you replace exactly where the old ones were you should be as level as the original ones were.  Make sure you get the right depth.
Bill & Nancy
2015 RPod 179
Previously 2010 RPod 176
2014 Explorer Sport

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 7:48am
[QUOTE=furpod]Why replace the slides ...?]

Unfortunately, the slides were wrecked - bent and ball bearings all over the floor. The drawer's space is very narow and deep, any screws at the far end are going to be 'diffi' to put in. I'm hoping one brand is easier than some others to put in...(?), and levelling side to side sounds tricky (atleast. for me, I'm strictly amateur).

Thanks for your response.

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 7:40pm
Why replace the slides, just replace the pulls to something that won't catch on a dogs collar. We put in tree frog pulls.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 6:49pm
Just got back from a nice trip to see the eclipse in TN.

Our 70 pound Lab, Pepper, was innocently sleeping after dinner when she got up to sniff something. Her collar caught on one of the projecting ends of the bar pull of one of the kitchen drawers and the excitement began. it took her 2 days before she finally decided that the Lab-Eating Monster had gone away and it was safe for her to lie down in front of the stove. It's gonna take me a lot more time to replace the slides of the otherwise undamaged drawer and ALL of the remaining 'European' style bar pulls with their projecting ends. 

I did an internet search and feel I can handle this, however, I would appreciate suggestions about replacing the slides of an R-Pod's kitchen drawer, it is an awfully tight space to work in.

If you have a similar pet, you may want to replace the 'European' bar pulls before disaster strikes.
 Post Reply Post Reply