R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLatest 172 Changes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
SC for Huskers View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Latest 172 Changes
    Posted: 22 Dec 2017 at 12:46pm
Thanks guys.
All is well taken. Now to take measurements, draw and cut.
Excuse me, measure 3times. draw, measure again, then cut.Big smile

Happy Traveling,
Tom
2017 172pod
2011 F150 STX
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2017 at 11:18am
We took out the upper bunk in our 172 and raised the lower bunk by about 7" and have had no structural issues appear.  I cut the upper bunk front to back in line with the wall of the head and used the trim piece that used to run perpendicular to the direction of travel and used it as a facia on the part of the bunk I left for storage.  The only issue we (I should say I) have had is bumping my knees from time to time on the facia of the upper shelf (former bunk) due to the additional height of the lower bed.  But repetition is a good teacher and now it only happens rarely.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
timpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2017 at 4:58pm
Haven't noticed any structural movement, or issues, with cutting back the top bunk.  I believe there is some support in the walls for the horizontal stringers to which the bunks are attached. Can't remember for sure, but if there is, you'll lose that support if you move the bunks vertically.  I don't think it would be a major issue though, as long as you provide support back down the floor, especially the bottom bunk which will have your full weight on it.  In my case, where I added the shoe / kick space, I ended up with a wall under the middle of the bottom bunk, which makes it very solid.
2016 Pod 172
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Larry-D View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 5:28pm
May not be the total answer you're looking for but I removed the top bunk leaving only the portion between the bath and front wall.  No movement so far.  
SC for Huskers View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 12:37pm
  Look'n Good.  Got a question.  I want to move top bunk up about 12" and use the area for storage boxes.  I have a bad back and cant bend very well, so I want to also raise lower bunk about 8 to 10 inchs and add more drawers under me.  To sit up, I must swing my legs down and raise up with my arms. (Am only one that uses the Pod 172)  When you cut out the upper bunk, did you run into any roof/wall movement, or any other problems?  Thanks in advance.
Happy Traveling,
Tom
2017 172pod
2011 F150 STX
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 6:52pm
Nice job!! 
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
spydie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 4:01pm
A lot of nice changes.  I'll bet it suits you well!
2018 R-pod 176
2017 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi
timpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 3:47pm

Last year we made a few changes to the pod, earlier this year we put in some more time to get it ready for spring break. We'd already put in a composting toilet, and Lagun swinging table, cut back the upper bunk, removed some interior cabinetry, and removed most of the exterior decals. This year:

- Made a new oak facia board for the previously cut-away upper bunk. The upper bunk is 30" wide.

- New round window for the upper bunk, to the right of the door.

- New oak cabinet on the lower bunk with 4 doors, and a lip on the top to hold hats and things. The lower bunk is now 30" wide as well.

- New lower frame for the lower bunk which adds kick space and shoe storage. About 12" wide.

- Split the lower bunk cushion and lid in order to make it easier to open.

- New oak counter top, with under-counter stove kit (fit existing stove)

- New faucet

- New oak table top to go on the Lagun swing arm. (The pictures of the table show it in it's travel position, we raise it up and swing it out when parked.) Since the table easily swings out of the way, we didn't have to cut the corners like the original.

- New lower framing for the right side settee, opening it up so we can slide a duffel bag in and out. Matching oak framing on the left side, around the heater. The new table top sits on these new frames, as it did previously, to make the double bed.

- Replaced the light fixtures with round black rimmed LED pucks. (Not visible in these photos)

- Moved the protruding outlet from the front of the sink/stove cabinet to the side, now recessed. Haven't cleaned up the hole yet.

- Cleaned up more wiring, etc.

Photo’s here:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/geExnQ6PpDjLvaG83

2016 Pod 172
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
 Post Reply Post Reply