R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDamaged axle spindle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
pjfrog View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Damaged axle spindle
    Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 9:59am
Thanks Furpod.  I supplied Lippert with the build tag (took a picture of it) and they gave me the number for the replacement axle.  Less expensive than I thought.  Under $300 (without shipping).  Dexter hasn't gotten back to me.
Good to know about FR.  I hadn't thought of them.
Here's a fun fact:  I asked Lippert if they had a 5200# replacement and they told me this design is only for a 3500# axle.
pjfrog
HR 171
F150
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 9:36am
Lippert used to, ship axles to you if you had a dock, (or someone you know does.. I have a buddy that owns a bike shop) All you need is to tell them the model number off the build tag of your current axle. FR will also ship you one, and they are pretty reasonable on cost.They will need your VIN.
pjfrog View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 9:07am
I contacted Lippert and sure enough, I need a new axle beam.  I also have an inquiry into Dexter.  I really don't know what kind of can of worms I might have to open to change manufactures.
pjfrog
HR 171
F150
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 1:51pm
Lippert has an on-line store with a support center and customer service. Lippert Components Incorporated. To my knowledge the spindle cannot be replaced.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 1:00pm
Etrailer carries a number of 3500# axles, but they all appear to be Dexter or Timbren. The Timbren are "axle-less", so would involve more modifications. They also carry higher capacity axles in 5200# and 7000#.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
pjfrog View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 11:40am
I had a wheel bearing issue in Texas as I was returning from a 15000 mile trip from Florida to Alaska and back.  The good news is I was carrying a replacement hub and bearings.  I was able to repair the damage on the side of the road.  The bad news is the old bearings were gone, brakes were trashed, and the spindle was damaged.  I made it back to Florida with no more drama but I needed to replace the brake assembly.  BTW that is really easy to do.  
Our 171 is riding on a Lippert 3500 lb (LC135) torsion axle.  The issue now is, even though the new grease seal didn't seam to get damaged on the trip from Texas to Florida, I'm not sure it will hold up too long. I'd like to replace the spindle but it looks to me like the spindle is welded to the axle assembly so replacing the spindle means replacing the axle.  (I think)  There are only 4 bolts holding the thing to the trailer so I'm not worried about replacing it being too hard.
The Lippert web site tells me that Camping World is one of their dealers.  I'm not a fan of Camping World and prefer not to use them.
Does anyone know if the spindle can be replaced?  If it can't be replaced does anyone know where I can get a new Lippert axle or a "drop in" replacement axle from another manufacturer?  
pjfrog
HR 171
F150
 Post Reply Post Reply