R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRpod 172 top bunk

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Larry-D View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rpod 172 top bunk
    Posted: 28 Nov 2017 at 2:32pm
Last month I took the top bunk out (well cut 1/2 of it out) and left the part next to the bathroom as a shelf.  I was surprised by the lack of inner supporting structure for the whole top bunk and added a center support for the remaining "shelf" I left in place.  If you pull the top wooden panel off, mine wasn't glued just tacked in place, you'll see the skeleton.  I think the idea by Marwayne might work well for you.  You can always add more cross members if needed.  To be sure they are minimal from the factory.
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2017 at 4:14pm
I have a 172, if I had to reinforce the top bunk I would take off the top sheet, reinforce the perimeter and all the cross pieces with 2" x 3" and put the top sheet back on. 
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

adventurelust View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2017 at 3:41pm
I though about this for my 182G, but never implemented it. A ladder that is not only for climbing onto the upper bunk, but stationary once you get up into the bunk and has some structural support to the floor would help in the unsupported areas.  Enforcing the existing supports would also be in order. I'm not sure how you would qualify the supported weight, but if it were me, I'd make sure no one is below me when I put it to use for the first time.   

Jim 
"Eighty percent of success is showing up" Woody Allen
Kfinn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2017 at 3:22pm
Has anyone modified the top bunk on their unit to increase the max weight capacity from 200# to 300#?  I am a little "above my playing weight" from years gone by and we would like to make that bunk more flexible for us over 225 pounds.  THX in advance for the ideas and feedback
THX!
 Post Reply Post Reply