Topic ClosedFinally got the gennies

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
TheBum View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finally got the gennies
    Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 6:05pm
Most places, it gets cool enough at night that you can open the windows and turn on the bathroom exhaust fan to pull the air in. We will avoid any campgrounds in the south in the summertime without electric hookups and with generator prohibitions at night, pure and simple.
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 3:50pm
Ok, I was obviously unclear on my post. I was not making a declaritive statement, saying that i will try running my gennys during quiet hours.  My statement was a comparitive statement, that they are so quiet on eco mode, "I probably could" since they might not hear it. I said clearly that I probably wouldnt do it, I should have said I definately would not do it. It was merely an over statement to enforce my claim of how quiet it runs.  Sorry if anyone got the wrong idea. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 11:07am
We were camping in Yellowstone years ago and a neighbor with a fifth wheel was charging his substantial batteries from his diesel TV.  He had set the throttle at a very high idle and when the camp host came around and told him it was quiet time had a fit.  He was far from quiet.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 6:57am
I think for me, a lot of it is about etiquette and fairness.  I mostly try to follow the rules.  I pick up my dog's poop, only run my generator during generator hours (which sometimes cut off before quiet hours start), and generally try to be the kind of neighbor I'd like to have for myself.   Honestly, I have a bit of an attitude that if I have to follow the rules, so should everyone else.  Part of that is that I agree that the rules make sense, even if they aren't always convenient. 

It seems like some of the big motorhome owner's have a tendency to run their generators all night.  I have no idea really, but I suspect they think because their generator is self-contained it's somehow exempt.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 1:12am
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

+10 on someone ratting you out if you do use a generator after hours.  I think one of the factors in peoples' minds is that camping is supposed to be about getting away from it all.  Or most of it anyway.  Listening to even the faint hum of someone else's generator off in the distance all night is not what folks set up a tent in the wilderness 600 miles from home to do.  They may not wait until morning to let the Ranger or camp host know. 
TT
The last trip we did a couple came in in a large motorhome after hours (11-ish), and promptly started up their generator (quiet hours at the campground specified 8PM cutoff). Our R-pod was situated with our bed pointed away, so I wasn't too upset.

HOWEVER.... The next morning, they started their generator at 6AM, and then they went off on a walk. Campground host was not pleased.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by furpod

Originally posted by Keith-N-Dar

Quiet hours means no generators in most campgrounds.  Don't be to shocked if you are asked to leave.

Agreed. And.. there are people who will out you for it, just because they can. Not because they were actually bothered by it.

First, congrats on the new gennies.  You'll get a lot of good use out of them. 

Second, +1 on quiet hours meaning no generators.  No generators doesn't mean generators are okay if they're quiet enough.  Be happy there are times when you can use the generators.  Some campgrounds have sections where they aren't allowed at all, any time of day or night.

+10 on someone ratting you out if you do use a generator after hours.  I think one of the factors in peoples' minds is that camping is supposed to be about getting away from it all.  Or most of it anyway.  Listening to even the faint hum of someone else's generator off in the distance all night is not what folks set up a tent in the wilderness 600 miles from home to do.  They may not wait until morning to let the Ranger or camp host know. 

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by Keith-N-Dar

Quiet hours means no generators in most campgrounds.  Don't be to shocked if you are asked to leave.

Agreed. And.. there are people who will out you for it, just because they can. Not because they were actually bothered by it.
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 4:39pm
Sounds good!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 1:45pm
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 1:26pm
I ordered my honda EU2000I and my EU2000I companion on black friday, and they finally came in. I brought them into the celler, put oil and gas in, and cranked them over.  On eco mode, these things are outrageously quiet. With eco mode off, they are still really quiet. I ran them inside the celler, with the door open of course, and it wasn't loud at all. I will see how they go in the spring under load with the a/c. I think if you have a few buses or trees in between you and your neighbor, they might not even hear it. As far as just powering up to charge the battery, or run an appliance, I think this could be quiet enough to run during quiet hours. I probably wouldn't, but I almost think it could.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
 Post Reply Post Reply