R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKeeping Warm in an R-pod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Keeping Warm in an R-pod
    Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 8:29am
Originally posted by voisj

Thank you. Do you think a larger heat exchanger such as 12"X12" would work to generate more heat? Instead of 64 sq. in. it would be 144 sq. in. of heat exchanger area.
[/QUOTE]
It may well work better, however the fan i used is an 8" and you may need to work out how to make a shroud to reduce it down from the exchanger to the fan. I like the 8" fan but if you follow Marwaynes plan he used 2 4" fans with a larger exchanger box. I went with the 8"x8 exchanger and fan because it fit well next to the furnace , uses the furnace grill as a return air, and allowed me to blow the air into the pod instead of under the bed. And the other goal was to use as little battery power as possible.
In the 179 I think my grill location would blow against the dinette seat? Couldn't that seat be removed for more floorspace? (and less seating).

Cheers, John
[/QUOTE]
Yes, the one seat could easily be removed. My wife like to use it for shoes so that might not fly.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by GlueGuy

The 8 " (200mm) computer fan I had already, but on Ebay the fan is $13. 3 speed, Current: 0.08A, 0.17A, 0.3A I run mine on high.
Has anyone considered just replacing the fan in the furnace with this more quiet fan? I would consider this as an overall simpler mod, with the possible addition of modifying the ducting for the furnace to blow out into the living space instead of into the storage area.

Remember this? worked well and all the heat blows out into the pod.

SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 9:43pm

[/QUOTE]
Thank you. Do you think a larger heat exchanger such as 12"X12" would work to generate more heat? Instead of 64 sq. in. it would be 144 sq. in. of heat exchanger area.
[/QUOTE]
It may well work better, however the fan i used is an 8" and you may need to work out how to make a shroud to reduce it down from the exchanger to the fan. I like the 8" fan but if you follow Marwaynes plan he used 2 4" fans with a larger exchanger box. I went with the 8"x8 exchanger and fan because it fit well next to the furnace , uses the furnace grill as a return air, and allowed me to blow the air into the pod instead of under the bed. And the other goal was to use as little battery power as possible.
In the 179 I think my grill location would blow against the dinette seat? Couldn't that seat be removed for more floorspace? (and less seating).

Cheers, John
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by GlueGuy

The 8 " (200mm) computer fan I had already, but on Ebay the fan is $13. 3 speed, Current: 0.08A, 0.17A, 0.3A I run mine on high.
Has anyone considered just replacing the fan in the furnace with this more quiet fan? I would consider this as an overall simpler mod, with the possible addition of modifying the ducting for the furnace to blow out into the living space instead of into the storage area.

Nope, the furnace is a big squirrel cage fan, and HAS to move all that air in order to run. Literally. It has a sail switch, that is one of 3 safeties that have to be engaged before it will run/light. And that flow is required to balance the temps in the heat exchanger.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 11:30am

bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 10:32am

Stephan,
I got the 8 x 8 heater core on EBAY for $39  (looks like they are out of stock on the 8x8) Search water to air heat exchangers. 

The pump on ebay for $17 is a 12 volt, .5a that Marwayne suggested. TE091

The pump is in line, in the picture connected to the lower heat exchanger pipe.
And I put a shut off valve on this line next to the vent so i could close it off when not needed, (convection kept it warm even when turned off). There is also another shut off valve on the return line to isolate the exchanger and just for safety sake. 

I had it connected to the pod thermostat with a switch to fire either the furnace or the heat exchanger , But changed that to a simple thermostat by the bed for the exchanger. This way we can use the furnace to warm the place up fast if we were out for the day, and in the morning, and wifey likes things simple.
 The furnace grill acts as a return air and the exchanger placement means no hot air blowing under the bed. I am really happy with the results, our sewer pipe was frozen after night 2 but we were able to keep the pod right near 60 all night, But it wouldn't really go any higher than that. 
cheers John

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 7:54am
Continues to be one of my favorite all time mods. We boondocked a lot in furpod, and probably would have done this mod by now.. Boondocking in the Lance is probably not going to happen.. Off grid has.. but it's a bit large to get to many of our old haunts..
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 11:22pm
Stephan,
I got the 8 x 8 heater core on EBAY for $39  (looks like they are out of stock on the 8x8) Search water to air heat exchangers. 

The pump on ebay for $17 is a 12 volt, .5a that Marwayne suggested. TE091

The pump is in line, in the picture connected to the lower heat exchanger pipe.
And I put a shut off valve on this line next to the vent so i could close it off when not needed, (convection kept it warm even when turned off). There is also another shut off valve on the return line to isolate the exchanger and just for safety sake. 

I had it connected to the pod thermostat with a switch to fire either the furnace or the heat exchanger , But changed that to a simple thermostat by the bed for the exchanger. This way we can use the furnace to warm the place up fast if we were out for the day, and in the morning, and wifey likes things simple.
 The furnace grill acts as a return air and the exchanger placement means no hot air blowing under the bed. I am really happy with the results, our sewer pipe was frozen after night 2 but we were able to keep the pod right near 60 all night, But it wouldn't really go any higher than that. 
cheers John
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA

68LC View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 9:06pm
GoGirlKY;
At 38 degrees for a night time low, the R-pod furnace set at 60 will blow you out of the camper.  However, I would recommend putting a space blanket between the mattress and the bed platform.  Helps keep the cold and condensation out and the heat in.  Have had my pod down to 17 degrees F and have yet to feel the need for anything over the windows other than the shades it came with.  
Have fun!
68LC
2017 R180
UZJ 100 tow vehicle   
You give peace a chance. I'll stay back here and cover you, in case things don't work out.
V/r;
68LC
2014 181g, now a 2017 180
rawest50 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 8:52pm
Side note. Electricity is free at campsite if available. Gas is not. You pay.
2017.5 RPod 179
2017 Jeep Unlimited Wrangler
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Off Road Crew Cab
2 Weiner dogs
Great wife puts up with my BS
❤️ Thoroughbred Racing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>