R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat's up with snow type tires on new trailers?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
poston View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's up with snow type tires on new trailers?
    Posted: 14 May 2018 at 1:19am
Originally posted by lostagain

I think Keith is right that the real "off road" factor for a trailer is in axle ground clearance.  All the cool diamond plating, big gnarly all terrain tires and such are more for appearance than function.

I agree.  I've been running through my mind how the off-road tires would help where you're not turning or applying power.  I can see limited benefit in braking on a muddy or snowy surface, but that's it.

They do look cool, though, but I don't want to spend money for that.  And I live off-road, literally.

--
Jim
Virginia City, Nevada
2016 R-pod 180
2015 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 6:33pm
If you took the trailer to a public scale and weighed its gross weight, those nitty tires would be in the total.  And the TV still has to move the total weight.  Not that it's all that much, but is heavier is generally not an advantage.  @ 7.7 lbs. per tire, that's about 4 liters of tequila you'd have to leave home to compensate for the extra weight [based on the weight of one unopened 1L bottle of Herradura Reposada Tequila].  Now that's serious. 
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by lostagain

The fact that the tire is heavier is of dubious advantage in that it adds to the GVW but the extra weight is likely the additional thickness of the rubber on the tread which adds no strength to the tire.
It adds to the tow weight, but does not impose a load on the trailer or suspension because the tires are "unsprung weight".

Just picking a nit I guess.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 11:10am

JandL, those are some fine looking tires; indeed, the very definition of “knarly.”  But, that being said, I still have some uncertainties about such tires on a trailer and whether they are really advantageous.  

In your link, you point out a number of differences between the LT and ST tires, but it’s not so clear whether the difference present an advantage. The design needs for each type of vehicle are not necessarily the same.  If I understand your analysis, the advantages to the T/A tire are that it has a larger diameter [thus slightly taller], is a half inch wider, has a weighs more and has a higher speed rating.  

The width of a tire may or may not provide an advantage in that it is the amount of tire surface area actually in contact with the road that really matters.  On dry or rain wet pavement, a T/A tire may actually have less “rubber on the road” as a more conservative designed tread.  Certainly, when you’re in mud or snow, the surfaces area of the tire in contact with the surface on which you’re driving increases [with a declining coefficient of friction], but at speeds appropriate to those conditions, is it really a significant advantage?  And how many times do most Podders drive in those conditions?

The aspect ratio of 75 gives you a slightly higher tire, so you gain about a .4 inches in ground clearance [the other half of that height advantage is above the center point of your axle so it doesn’t count].  The slightly higher sidewall also increases stress on the sidewall, which is one of the strength factors that’s designed into an ST tire.  They have heavier fabric in the tire body so if you are comparing a 6 ply tire, the ST would be inherently stronger and better able to resist the lateral forces on the sidewall than a 6 ply LT.

The fact that the tire is heavier is of dubious advantage in that it adds to the GVW but the extra weight is likely the additional thickness of the rubber on the tread which adds no strength to the tire.  

The speed rating is nice, but driving trailers over 65 mph may not be such a good idea and in many states, for example CA, it’s illegal.  Speed rating on a tire is a function of the rubber compounding and it’s resistance to heat and potential tread separation.  And, there is, at least on e-Trailer, a pretty good selection of ST tires that have an M rating for speed [81 mph].   Check out this 10 ply E load rated tire for example:  https://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-Wheels/Kenda/AM10303.html

The weight capacity difference between the ST and the LT on the two tires you compared presents a distinct disadvantage for the LT, to the tune of 1,160 pounds less capacity.  And if you go to the tire in the link on e-Trailer, its load capacity for two tires is 2,430 pounds greater than the LT.  Additionally, the extra steel they put into the ST tires allows them to run at much higher pressure, thus reducing the rolling resistance of the tire.

My interest in all terrain tires for our Pod is to avoid having to wallow around in the snow putting chains on when we cross the Sierra Nevada mountains.  It doesn’t look like that can be avoided by A/T tires.  I checked into the chain/snow tires rules for CA and NV and both states require chains on vehicles towing a trailer, both for the TV and at least one trailer axle that has brakes.  A quote from the Nevada rule:  

“All vehicles, including four wheel drive vehicles, that are

towing trailers must have chains on one drive axle.

• Trailers with brakes must have chains on the braking axle.”

Thus, it looks like, at least in those states, I’d still be wallowing around in the snow messing with chains.

So, aside from really cool looking tires, the advantage still seems to be with the really boring and ordinary looking ST tires.  

Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 10:24am
My tires are the stock hood river edition mud and snows, I bought the pod new in mid 2016 so they are less than 2 years old and have about 17 thousand miles on them. I plan to replace them with an E rated LT tire that matches what is on my truck when we head to Alaska this summer, they look like this.

SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

JandL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 11:16pm
I installed off road tires on my trailer and I think they are a more rugged tire than the standard trailer tire. Here's my posting on them

New Tires

The tire's weight 36 lbs. that 7.7 lbs. heaver per tire than the equivalent trailer rated tire and a Max Load 1,985 lbs. at 50 psi per tire.
JandL
2013 Honda Ridgeline
2012 177
2 Paynes in a Pod
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 4:19pm
voisj, are the tires rated ST or LT?  If ST, where did you find them?  If LT:  What is the max air pressure you can put in the tires?  How many plies are in the sidewalls?  What is the weight rating?

Since we live near Reno, we often end up crossing Echo summit with some regularity on the way to the Bay Area, I'd like to get tires that are rated M&S for the trailer, though I'm not so sure if CA chain rules will still require chains when towing.  On the other hand, I don't want to risk not having ST rated tires on our Pod.  The LT's are not really designed for the loads imposed by trailers, according to what I've been able to find on the topic.  

We do tow with our standard Goodyear ST 205/74R14's on dirt roads and forest service roads and have never had an issue with the tires.  It is the clearance under the axle that's been the limiting factor on this sort of road.  When we replace them, I will probably go to a 235 or so tire or maybe even go up to a 15 inch rim to add a little more ground clearance.  We've also towed in some pretty nasty cross winds and the trailer has been remarkably stable (I suppose from the E2 WHD hitch and the stability of the ST tires, but I certainly could be wrong.)
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 2:44pm
I also like the fact that I have mud and snow tires on my r pod. I find myself boondocking on dirt roads out in the deserts and on Forest service roads (that's where all the Real good stuff is) and even though they're pretty well-graded, there's rocks and stuff and I got to think that these tires hold up to that a little better.
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 9:25am
Originally posted by geewizard

I like having M+S tread on my Rpod.

What I don't like is that my local tire place was unable to properly balance my Rpod tires/wheels due to the cheap tires.  Obviously, I also believe it's important to have balanced tires on a trailer.
That's a whole 'nuther thing. Some tires are so cheap they are out of balance, and even some are too out of round. Some places can shave out of round tires to make them round, but then you can get back to the first problem (they can no longer be balanced).
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
geewizard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 7:10am
I like having M+S tread on my Rpod.

What I don't like is that my local tire place was unable to properly balance my Rpod tires/wheels due to the cheap tires.  Obviously, I also believe it's important to have balanced tires on a trailer.

2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>