R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedR179 Solar Panel install

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Wepod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: R179 Solar Panel install
    Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 10:55am
I use a HQST 100 watt suitcase panel with just the clips that came with it.  I made a 30ft extension cord so I can move it around.   A 20' 3/8" cable and a lock deters the banditos.  I am wondering why you would want 200 watts of charging.  My 100w panel will recharge my batteries in about 4hrs after using them overnight for cooking water heater etc.    All that being said it would be nice to have the panels roof mounted and not have to worry about setting them up and locking them down every day.
geewizard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 8:42am
I suggest you consider NOT putting panels on your Rpod but making them portable....or purchasing a "suitcase" style solar panel setup.

By doing so, you avoid holes in the roof as well as having the ability to park your Rpod in the shade while putting your solar panels in the sun.

I have a 100+ watt solar panel with 30 feet of cable and it works well.

More details can be seen here:

http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=9728&KW=&PID=91400&title=rpod-177-battery-box-mod#91400
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 8:14pm
I connect my 100 A at the battery with a couple of pigtails.  I made up a little plastic box that holds the controller that can sit on the battery boxes box.  I can only use it while we're parked, but when I'm driving I don't really need it.  I can basically put the panel out where ever there is sun within about 20 feet of the trailer.  I have a flexible panel that can conform to the shape of our Pod or the camper shell of the truck.  I put some small boat line cleats along the bottom of the trailer and camper shell to tie it down.  

The biggest problem is making sure no one walks off with it.  I guess that's the advantage of a fixed mounting, but then you're often not able to adjust for direct sun light.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
garyd View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 7:40pm
i plan on installing two 100 watt panels on my r179. I have a couple of questions about the installation

1) I was planning on dropping the wires down the bathroom vent stack. How do I get to the stackbehind the toilet? I assume from in the closet by the bed. how do I take off the inside panel without destroying it ?

2) how do I run the wires from the vent stack behind the toilet to the solar converter which I want to place near the  battery converted panel by the door?

3) how to run wires from the solar converter to the battery.

4) i am using the renogy solar converter-should I upgrade to a better converter that show waatts in and watts out?
thanks
gary
 Post Reply Post Reply